• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattd75

I have ordered a Zalman fan controller for my new build, but I didnt know if I should connect my CPU cooler fan to it or let the P6T motherboard handle it? This is my first build so I am a noob. any advice is appreciated!

If your CPU fan is noisy and you don't mind keeping a close eye on your CPU temp then you could use the Zalman but otherwise I would just let the mainboard control it. If you do use the Zalman then make sure your mainboard has the feature enabled that will shut down the PC if the CPU exceeds a certain temp. Just incase you decide to do a spot of gaming and forget to turn the fan up. Another option (Witch I do) is use speedfan to control your fan connected to the mainboard. That way when your CPU isnt being stressed speedfan will lower the fan speed so you don't always have to have a noisy system. As soon as you load up your system and the CPU temp starts to rise speedfan will automatically raise the fan speed.

I have a controller on my cpu cooler and it is always full blast because it isn't louad at all. Other fans may be louder, but I say you put the controller on and then set the fan to the loudest you can handle.

I would recommend that you let the motherboard do all the tweaking.
Most of the time, the motherboard do a good job in handling CPU fan speeds so that it would be silent when idle, and it would just crank up the fan speed when it deems needed.
This way, it would be most of the time fail safe as the fan is fast when needed to prevent overheating

I have ordered a Zalman fan controller for my new build, but I didnt know if I should connect my CPU cooler fan to it or let the P6T motherboard handle it? This is my first build so I am a noob. any advice is appreciated!
I think it depends on the application. If you're going to overclock heavily, then put it on the fan controller so you can adjust the speeds to your needs.

If you're not overclocking big, just plug it to the mobo and be done with it.

Back