• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 8600 gt fan mod question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsr0213

Registered
I have an EVGA 8600GT. These suckers tend to run hot, and evga precision will not keep the fan at 100% if it is ever at 100% to begin with. I turn it up and once the card goes over a certain temp I can see the fan speed indicator on precision drop to 40%. I never hear any increase in noise, and it seems I would if it was going from 30% to 100%. I believe the fan is a 2 pin connector and I was wondering if im going to smoke something if I make an adapter for the fan's power to go to 12v molex so that it runs at 100%. I realize running 100% all the time will shorten the life of the fan, but its better than it being so hot all the time imo. I was thinking a female 2 pin running to a molex connector with the red fan wire going to yellow on molex, and obviously black to black. Then just move the connector out of the video card and into the adapter. This kind of rigup safe? :confused:

it would be, if the fan is exactly as you mentioned, but you have to see how much voltage it needs, maybe the molex connector provides too much.

it would be, if the fan is exactly as you mentioned, but you have to see how much voltage it needs, maybe the molex connector provides too much.

How can I find out the fan's voltage?

you have never seen anything like 12v on the normal chassis fans or the gpu fans?

i don't know if they work the same way

you have never but 12v also on gpu fans? that's the problem here

better be 100% sure before doing something like this.

mmmm btw, try rivatuner , in the main menu where the name of your card is (something like 8600gt with 512mb etc etc) there should be a little triangle in the corner
if you push it it will open a little menu, choose the first option, low level system setting, you should see the fan control from there.

try to set it to the fixed duty cycle there and report back to us

The rivatuner thing seems to have worked. I have the ddr3 256mb version of this card and it usually works great for what I use it for. I play world of warcraft and every time I would go near one particular place (Ulduar for those of you that care), the card's temp would spike and the fan would failsafe to 40% or so. By spike I mean it would sometimes hit over 80c which made me a bit nervous about the health of my new card. Now in the same areas, I have been unable to duplicate it. Fan stays at 100%, and the gpu seldom goes over 65c at the superclocked version of this card's specs. Thanks bundles all, now I dont have to make an adaptor and figure out how to route the wire lol.

glad i solved the prob =)

and stop playing wow, i truly enjoyed it only in the base version,

BC and wotlk ruined that game (arenas did along with my blood pressure XD)

The rivatuner thing seems to have worked. I have the ddr3 256mb version of this card and it usually works great for what I use it for. I play world of warcraft and every time I would go near one particular place (Ulduar for those of you that care), the card's temp would spike and the fan would failsafe to 40% or so. By spike I mean it would sometimes hit over 80c which made me a bit nervous about the health of my new card. Now in the same areas, I have been unable to duplicate it. Fan stays at 100%, and the gpu seldom goes over 65c at the superclocked version of this card's specs. Thanks bundles all, now I dont have to make an adaptor and figure out how to route the wire lol.
That bug also shows up on the 9800GTX. It is the main reason I put an aftermarket cooler on it. You could set it to whatever you want, but anything over 65c would default it back to stock "auto" fan speed.

nVidia denied the bug ever existed and refused to fix it.

Having fun with Ulduar? We just have the General and Yogg for 25 man ;)
Got to actually see Yogg tonight in our 10 man runs, it was fun.

BC and wotlk ruined that game (arenas did along with my blood pressure XD)
Have you actually played through the expansions? The fights actually require skill ATM (until/unless they nerf them); so I'm having a blast with our 25 man runs.

Have you actually played through the expansions? The fights actually require skill ATM (until/unless they nerf them); so I'm having a blast with our 25 man runs.

i was more a pvper, but when i had time i enjoyed some raiding.
My blood pressure was high, and i broke several mic (and my father thought i was mad when he heard me infuriating in teamspeak) playing as a hunter.
now i just can't keep up with all these nerfs and buffs one after the other.
i tried some raiding and we finished naxx25 pugged. i don't know how ulduar is
but honestly i give up,

i had some skills in pvp but again now nobody wants to team with a hunter
and the arenas are actually not truly skill based but more team setup based.

you will agree v1.00 wow bosses were much harder than now,
and it was the time were if you saw a rank14 guy or a full epic guy you would actually have respect for him.

now everybody has epics unless you are a complete noob.

My mmo gaming phase is over (tried Age of conan which has no solo play @80)

If a good new mmo will be released, or if the next expansion of wow will be better than the last ones i might decide to come back, till then blizzard lost one customer (on 11milion customers Oo)

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience, but I will not say the 1.0 bosses are harder than current ones. For example, the General allows no regen of mana during the fight ;). If all you did was pug raids, that is your problem.

If you found a good guild, I'm sure you'd have fun. But to each their own.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience, but I will not say the 1.0 bosses are harder than current ones. For example, the General allows no regen of mana during the fight ;). If all you did was pug raids, that is your problem.

If you found a good guild, I'm sure you'd have fun. But to each their own.

i had fun in v1.00 with my guild, and in tbc a little also.

another thing i hate with wow is the performance, in dalaran i get to 24fps
and look at the graphics lol (and then look at my pc)
I am starting to think developers are putting some loops in the code just to make us upgrade hardware, because once i could run the first boss of bwl on my 7800 gtx with everything maxed out and @ 50fps

now in a raid i get down to 40fps with 2 cards that are monsters compared to the 7800. if you can answer me why performance are so bad. till now i didn't manage to find one

(ppl says it is cpu bound game, but again my pentium 4 did a great job back then)

now in a raid i get down to 40fps with 2 cards that are monsters compared to the 7800. if you can answer me why performance are so bad. till now i didn't manage to find one

(ppl says it is cpu bound game, but again my pentium 4 did a great job back then)
It is very CPU bound. There is also a ton of effects to render.

It is very CPU bound. There is also a ton of effects to render.

gpu don't work with this game. max temp on load (and fans @ 40%) is 55C
the cards on same frequencies idle @ 51C (they do not throttle down)
so there must be something in the cpu part that really screws it up

I am enjoying ulduar. The bosses are fun when they work correctly. XT was ****ing me off for a bit when she would gravity bomb and tantrum at the same time and there was nothing anyone could do for me as melee. I thought I would hate the vehicle system there as I did malygos ( god I hate even being there for 10 minutes ), but flame leviathan is actually pretty cool. Even his trash is fun. Although, RL has been keeping me out of the loop for a few weeks now, so in the mean time I am just working on getting a stable well cooled computer. BTW I agree pvp is all jacked up now. I have about 27k hp fully raid buffed in solid 213 epics, but mages are hitting me at 12k on hasted attacks so I can get melted within 1.5 seconds if they get 3 crits in a row and are hasted to the gcd cap. UGH!! Anyway, thx again Zantal.

Damnit, it just did it again just in a different zone. Even the low level fan control slider was at 30%. Off to radio shack.

stupid fans!!!

do as you wanted to do in the beginning, i will hope everything goes good =)

Back