• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just a thought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

just a thought:
what is the highest clocked cpu in your Intel folding rigs?
what is the highest clocked cpu in your AMD folding rigs?
how many ppd does it make with what clients?
what kind of cooling are you using, what temps?

this is overclockers after all.

Last edited:
I was only able to 3.6GHz on my Q9300, although it was not folding stable at that speed. I get about 6.4k PPD running it at 3.5GHz.

I'm sure that there are some people getting over 10k PPD with an i7.

Ok, well I just started my ATI on the GPU client. Ill see how this goes and if no problems, maybe ill start VM tomorrow.

My rigs:

Duel E8400 @ 3.6, XP & SMP (Not VM) getting 1900 ppd
Quad Q6600 @ 2.8, Vista & SMP (Not VM) getting 2600 ppd
Quad Q6600 @ 2.4, Vista & SMP (Not VM) getting 2100 ppd
Quad Q9550 @ 3.5, Ubuntu & SMP (Not VM) getting 6582 ppd :santa:

GPU's
GTS 280 stock XP 5000 ppd
GTS 250 stock Vista 4088 ppd

Hope it helps :beer:

SMP performance scales pretty much linearly with cpu speed within a processor family. The Yorkfields are about 5% faster than Kentsfields at the same clock rate. The Nehalems are about 50% faster than the Kentsfields at the same clock.

Well that kind of sucks. My PPD on my CPU went from 1760 to 500 after I started my GPU client.

Adjust your prioities with your clients and you will get that right back.
Or if you are using old drivers switch to new ones. The latest approved drivers use very little cpu.

Max production running ATi cards on dual cores with SMP requires the use of 9.3 or higher Cats and the enviromment variables FLUSH_INTERVAL, BROOK_YIELD, CAL_NO_FLUSH, CAL_PRE_FLUSH. The values of the variables can be set to minimize cpu utilization. For the 4870 the flush interval should be 192, yield 2, no flush 1 and pre flush 1. Playing with these variables may be required to balance SMP and GPU production.
THere is a 19 page thread on OCF about ATi core 1.24 and these variables.

I fold on my AMD rigs as well. OP just asked for the highest clocked processor, and since all of my AMD chips are pre-Phenom II, they don't overclock very high.

In any case, my highest clocked AMD chip is a 4850e running at 3 GHz, and it's getting around 1800 PPD on a 2669.

Cool, thanks for those settings CHASR. Fixed the CPU usage problem :D 2500 PPD on my cpu right now (no VM) and 1500-2000 PPD for my GPU!

Back