• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF2- Ping is real high.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I've been playing BF2 online for years now and usually just on the weekends. Well, I noticed last night is was unplayable and I was getting kicked for high ping. I had a few beers last night so I didn't pay much attention to it, after getting kicked from a few servers I gave up and went on my way. I did a full reinstall of my OS today (Something I do on a regular basis and not related to the BF2 issue) after getting everything installed I popped on BF2 for a minute to see if I was getting the high ping again and sure enough, I am.

I noticed all the servers in my list are ranging from 150~350 and that's very unusual. And my ping jumps all over the place during the game ranging from 37 up to 350 and then I get kicked obviously. I have checked the network and everything looks good and no one is downloading or hogging the bandwidth. I tried power cycling the modem and router to no avail.

On on a 4Mbps cable connection running a Linksys modem and a Linksys WRT54G router. I have my network locked down, my SSID disabled and I have MAC filtering enabled only allowing our two laptops. The system I'm having trouble with is a wired connection. Thanks in advance for any insight! :beer:

Hi,

What is the link speed and duplex setting on the laptop wired NIC?

Most routers have it hard coded to 100/full, all three of mine are anyway. (All are Linksys, only the house router is plugged in at this time but the RV router is set the same).

Running at half duplex or 10Mps would cause the same type of problem, drop and reconnections from your wired NIC.

HTH...

Hi,

What is the link speed and duplex setting on the laptop wired NIC?

Most routers have it hard coded to 100/full, all three of mine are anyway. (All are Linksys, only the house router is plugged in at this time but the RV router is set the same).

Running at half duplex or 10Mps would cause the same type of problem, drop and reconnections from your wired NIC.

HTH...

Hey there Rider, this is on my desktop not my laptop. Setup is in my sig, I know what you're saying though. Thanks for the reply.

Wow, just tried playing right now on a regular server of mine and it was herendous! Lagging all over the place and my ping hitting 350! I have no idea what's going on here, maybe the modem ****ting out on me? I'm going to try my other on board lan port and see if that makes a difference. :shrug:

I just figured out it was my WRT54G router that is crapping out on me. I went right from my modem to my computer and my ping dropped to 30. As soon as I plug my router back into the loop my ping goes crazy.

Hi dylskee,

So if the router is the problem what are you going to do? Flash the BIOS with the latest version?

Or buy a new one?

Have to give it some thought on how to test a router with out taking it on the web.

Hi dylskee,

So if the router is the problem what are you going to do? Flash the BIOS with the latest version?

Or buy a new one?

Have to give it some thought on how to test a router with out taking it on the web.

I bought a replacement last night in the classifieds here. I'm not sure how else to check the router other than going online but I'm sure that's the problem. I'll find out for sure when the new router gets here. :)

I had a similar problem with my WRT54GL and DD-WRT firmware. It turned out that the uplink port on the router was failing. I was able to change the uplink port to LAN port 4 and now everything works great, except now it is a 3-port router instead of a 4-port router :p.

I had a similar problem with my WRT54GL and DD-WRT firmware. It turned out that the uplink port on the router was failing. I was able to change the uplink port to LAN port 4 and now everything works great, except now it is a 3-port router instead of a 4-port router :p.

I took the cover off this morning and it's extremely hot, I'm not sure how hot it ran before but it's very hot to the touch. I put a fan on it temporarily to see if that would help and it doesn't. The problem goes away instantly after connecting straight to the computer from the modem so something is screwy with the router. I've had this router for a LONG time so I don't mind springing for another one.

Replaced the router with a Linksys WRT54GX SRX from the classifieds and my pings are back to normal. I guess I just pounded the crap out of that WRT54G for too many years.

I guess I spoke too soon, the high ping issues are back! They are random and will spike through out the game. My average ping on my favorite server is about 22, it will jump to 300 at times. I have tried several servers tonight all with the same results. Has anyone had this same problem before? The network looks fine so I can't figure out whats going on here.

do a trace route to the servers in a dos window

open a dos window and type in

tracert 1.2.3.4

1.2.3.4 being the IP of the server and post the results here.

do a trace route to the servers in a dos window

open a dos window and type in

tracert 1.2.3.4

1.2.3.4 being the IP of the server and post the results here.

Thanks for the reply, this is what I got......

Attachments

• Tracert.JPG
    Tracert.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 287
Oh boy...I knew someone would say do a traceroute. I don't know why people recommend this as its useless as its nothing but a report. A report that most CSRs at your internet provider wouldnt know about or give 2 craps about.

Oh boy...I knew someone would say do a traceroute. I don't know why people recommend this as its useless as its nothing but a report. A report that most CSRs at your internet provider wouldnt know about or give 2 craps about.

LOL, so I guess there isn't much I can do with this info? I'm going to install BF2 on my son's rig and see what kind of pings he gets.

A tracerroute could show a bad router or switch he is going through to get to the server, trace routes are very useful if you know what to look for, now the thing is most people will say is the * are the problem but it likely just means that routers dont respond to ICMP requests (pings)

the massive spike in New York could be an overloaded switch considering it goes from 200 down to 50, that could easily account for the lag spikes as well as in Washington, the problem is, both those issues are in places you cant do anything about.

A tracerroute could show a bad router or switch he is going through to get to the server, trace routes are very useful if you know what to look for, now the thing is most people will say is the * are the problem but it likely just means that routers dont respond to ICMP requests (pings)

the massive spike in New York could be an overloaded switch considering it goes from 200 down to 50, that could easily account for the lag spikes as well as in Washington, the problem is, both those issues are in places you cant do anything about.
Ok, well thanks for the reply anyway I guess I have to keep digging. :beer:

Have you gone directly from the modem to your PC since you got the new router?

I haven't, I am going to try that right now though. I just tried the game on two other computers in the house and the results are the same. Huge lag spikes!

Back