• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 775 Best HSF ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ThermalRight Ultra 120 must be one of the best coolers out their for LGA775. I've personally been thinking about getting a coolermaster V8.

I read the thermalright ultra 120 extreme is actually one up on the original thermalright ultra 120. but it IS written in 2007!

linky here

am I pointing to a older model? This HSF is just for a backup option in case I don't use my mach II gt, or vapochill LS ;) due to mounting problems

The Thermalright HR-01 Plus, Xigmatek 1283, Noctua (one in my sig) ... all good choices. If you lap, I'd imagine the TR would beat the best.

I don't want to step on any toes but I wouldn't put much stock in Frostytech. It seems to deviate greatly from every other respected hardware site out there in terms of reviews.

well, there's the Thermalright IFX-14 i think it's called?
it's basically 2 TRU-120s stuck together. and it also comes with a little backplate heatsink :p

then there's the new Prolimatech Megahalems which sounds pretty hardcore. if you are manly enough, the TRUE Copper is a beast. it might bend/snap your vertical mobo though.

HSFs i would stay away from are Zalman 9700/9900LED models. they're pricey and don't perform as well as they look.

I have used thermalright in the past (slk800) and man I love their products! I can't believe the 120 extreme is still around and kicking butt....a testament to their build quality I suppose.

I am looking for a cooling solution myself...and it seems the ultra-120 extreme is still the top of the top.

Did I hear something about needing to lap the ultra-120 extreme? Do they come off the line uneven?

I believe the TRUE copper's only make a few degrees difference, and aren't really worth it for the price or the weight.

I believe the TRUE copper's only make a few degrees difference, and aren't really worth it for the price or the weight.
hmm, i was hoping they were godly Heatstinks :p
guess not.
if that's the case, i certianly woudln't buy one. it weighs like 1kg+ ! :eek:
i don't see how copper fins can make that much difference.

The TRUE 120 (lapped) used to be king, but theres plenty of other contenders these days, much cheaper, too.

Coolermaster V8 is a very good HS - about equal to a TRUE. TRUE is just different because there's no fan included, so there performance varies quite a bit. TRUE's are great but can arrive non-flat. V8's are good, but are a bit of a PITA to mount. There are a few other good ones out there too. The top five are probably within 1-1.5c of each other..

Coolermaster V8 is a very good HS - about equal to a TRUE. TRUE is just different because there's no fan included, so there performance varies quite a bit. TRUE's are great but can arrive non-flat. V8's are good, but are a bit of a PITA to mount. There are a few other good ones out there too. The top five are probably within 1-1.5c of each other..

so you think if you put a coolermaster v8 fan in a true...your temps would be negligible?

yes, I do.. Keep in mind that the fan in the V8 can be swapped out with a better fan. The stock fan is good, but there are better ones. Most people buying TRUE's are adding a $15 fan, or two, to the HS.

yes, I do.. Keep in mind that the fan in the V8 can be swapped out with a better fan. The stock fan is good, but there are better ones. Most people buying TRUE's are adding a $15 fan, or two, to the HS.

that is expensive....$30 + $60 for the heatsink...whew...

would 2 top of the line 120mm fans and a true rock a lot more then just 1 120?

also....do I have to remove my mobo with the TRUE?

Yes, two is better than one - when arranged in a push-pull configuration.

Unless your case is equipped with a cutout where the backside of the mobo is, you'll be removing it from the case for either of these HSFs.

Back