• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C2D vs C2Q vs I7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

furstin

Registered
Right now i have an E7200,it plays all my games fine except GTA 4 which i can still play reasonably well except for some dips in fps here and there.I think quad support in games will be on the increase later this year and into next year.My question is whether i should buy a Q6600 or Q8200 soon(within 2 months) or keep my E7200 until prices in I7's fall to a reasonable level,they are silly expensive for me right now and i cant afford them..or atleast justify it yet.Mostly i play games,but i do encode videos from time to time.Do you think i should upgrade or wait until I7 prices fall? i will also have GTX 260 in SLI in about a weeks time so im not sure if the E7200 will bottleneck it alot.

Cheers

E7200 and Q6600 and Q8200 are all going to bottleneck a GTX 260 SLI setup.

Before anything else though.... What resolution is your monitor?

My resolution is 1920x1080,i was thinking of buying a new monitor with 1920x1200 because i hear that makes games look slightly better.But thats a maybe and definetly not set in stone and probably wont be for some time.

Thankyou for the reply.

+1

If going with those CPU youll NEED to oc in order to feed this SLI.

Ill recommend E8400 < Q9550 < I7 920

Budget related E8400, good air cooling. 4.0ghz and have some fun !

My E7200 is at 4ghz right now,would the larger cache in the E8400 make much of a difference in terms of bottle necking?

I would reccomend on a Q9550/core i7 920, the 920 isn't too expensive and the D0 is an amazing overclocker (core i7's were anyway :p)

Quad cores will soon have an advantage over duals, more games and especially new ones coming out should have support for multiple cores, so clock speed won't matter as much. (Even though a Core i7 920 could overclock as much as a E8400 lol)

First off are you running your E7400 @ stock ? Most of those will do 4ghz . Give that ago . And who cares about how much voltage you are thinking of doing there is a few users doign tests here that have been running there chips @ 1.6+v for months trying to see how long it takes to kill them . They are still going . If you are thinking of getting a new chip why not see if a high oc will do for now as you wait for the I7s to come down . And a new revison to come out . I normaly like to wait for the 2-3 revision before I get a chip from that Gen .

Edit
My E7200 is at 4ghz right now,would the larger cache in the E8400 make much of a difference in terms of bottle necking?
No the 8400 wont really help vs your current chip . I dont think it will Bottel neck it to much It will still be better than 1 . You should be able to play every thing fine on your system as I havent had a problem running @ the same res on my 4830 .

First off are you running your E7400 @ stock ? Most of those will do 4ghz . Give that ago . And who cares about how much voltage you are thinking of doing there is a few users doign tests here that have been running there chips @ 1.6+v for months trying to see how long it takes to kill them . They are still going . If you are thinking of getting a new chip why not see if a high oc will do for now as you wait for the I7s to come down . And a new revison to come out . I normaly like to wait for the 2-3 revision before I get a chip from that Gen .

Edit

No the 8400 wont really help vs your current chip . I dont think it will Bottel neck it to much It will still be better than 1 . You should be able to play every thing fine on your system as I havent had a problem running @ the same res on my 4830 .

Do you think my E7200 will last until the end of this year beginning of next? and will the I7's be *reasonable* in price by then do you think?

Thankyou

Do you think my E7200 will last until the end of this year beginning of next? and will the I7's be *reasonable* in price by then do you think?

Thankyou

i7 is gonna stay put a while. Next up for Intel is the i5 stuff. Either way you are going to need a new motherboard..

I have to agree that FUTURPROOF = Q9550 or I7

But if your still budget limited, the E8400 can do it ;)

Back