• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will these heat sinks work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverClockThis

Registered
I'm doing my first build and I'm a bit of a noob. I've chosen the Apevia X-SniperG-BL case. I plan on overclocking an i7 to ~3.8 GHz.

The two sinks I am looking at, the TRUE 120 & the Scythe Mugen 2, are 160mm tall and 158 mm tall (respectively). I read in a review that for the case I have chosen, I shouldn't choose a heat sink taller than 155 mm! I'm wondering if these sinks will be able to fit in this case. I really want this case, and I don't want to sacrifice CPU cooling.

The width of the case is 203.2mm, but with mobo and fan, I'm afraid the heat sinks won't fit! What do you recommend?

I'm not sure what particular review you're talking about, could you link to that? Also, taking out the side fan might help with space a little.

Usually, trimming or bending a tiny bit of fins is all you need to do.

Please don't think putting a top rated HS on a CPU will automatically give you 3.8 on an i7. There are way to many variables. Just so you know up front.

I know, thats why i said ~3.8. I plan on pushing mine to its limit, and then back it off some. If I get the D0 stepping there is a pretty good chance I'll be able to get it to 3.8. Also, I went with a more/better ventilated case, as well as some other changes to my set up. I won't be overclocking right away as I'm going to wait to buy a heat sink and see what the temperatures are like at normal frequency and make a decision from there.

Back