• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i be worried O_o?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.nzproduKt

Registered
Okay, I've been having Temperature spikes between cores, And I'm kinda worried.

It's a 939 skt Opteron 180 Dualcore 2.41ghz NOT OVERCLOCKED (had to un-do the clocking due to other issues) http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/produKtNZ/IMG_5136.jpg
It's cooled by the Swiftech MCX6400 with 92mm Vantec Tornado fan (http://www.swiftnets.com/products/installationguide_mcx6400-V.pdf), and without load its running 30-34 degrees. The cooler is bolted thru the mobo using nylon threaded rods, with a spring under the thumb screw ontop
(I've tried to give ya all the info necessary here :p)

So recently I started running F@h again and I'm getting

Room Ambient Temp 18*C
Medium tolerable speed/noise (2900RPM 70CFM approx)
CPU#1/Core#1 41-45*C | CPU#1/Core#2 57-64*C

High coMplEtEly intolerable speed /getmeahearingaid=noise (4800RPM 119CFM)
CPU#1/Core#1 39-43*C | CPU#1/Core#2 49-55*C

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I have no idea. The 939 boards only have the top and bottom mounting points for aftermarket coolers that don't use the frame, so its not like the cooler can be off centre?,so i guess this leaves me nicely with the initial Question

Should I be worried? o_O

The specs:
CPU Properties
CPU Type DualCore AMD Opteron 180
CPU Alias Denmark S939
CPU Stepping JH-E6
CPUID CPU Name Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 180
CPUID Revision 00020F32h

CPU Speed
CPU Clock 2411.1 MHz (original: 2400 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 12.0x
CPU FSB 200.9 MHz (original: 200 MHz)
HyperTransport Clock 602.8 MHz
Memory Bus 160.7 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio CPU/15

CPU Cache
L1 Code Cache 64 KB per core (Parity)
L1 Data Cache 64 KB per core (ECC)
L2 Cache 1 MB per core (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Name Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16, AMD Hammer
Memory Timings 3-4-4-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 2T
DIMM1: Corsair XMS CMX512-4000 512 MB PC3700 DDR SDRAM (3.0-5-5-8 @ 232 MHz)
DIMM2: Corsair XMS CMX512-4000 512 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (3.0-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz)
DIMM3: Corsair XMS Pro CMX512-3200C2PRO 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM4: Corsair XMS Pro CMX512-3200C2PRO 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/produKtNZ/Wearehere.jpg

It is clean, that's the thing. After it's last mission (cooling a Opteron 150 on another pc, i waterblasted it clean :)
Hasn't been used since then, so i'm pretty damned sure it's factorynew like clean :)

I left for work leaving folding at home running, to come home only to find it had crashed aswell, so :confused::bang head

Wow, I have never seen a stock cooler with temps so high it would fail due to heat... Maybe you just need a new cooler.

Nah that's not the case.
This swiftech cooler i've got is seriously seriously dense, and I'm using a incredible high cfm fan on it, so that shouldn't be the case =\

Yeah, with the variation in temps between the two cores it makes you wonder if either the cooler is not seated square on the cpu face or if the thermal paste is not distributed evenly. By the way, what kind of thermal paste are you using?

some antec stuff, formula 5 I think, picked it up cheaps at a carboot sale but after reading some reviews I will be changing because I think I could knock 5c off my temps :)

I was asking the question of the original poster.

Certain steppings of the 939 Opterons run really hot, forgot which ones though. My dad's Opteron 185 is the same way.

oooooops :mad: I'm hanging my head in shame :)

No prolem, I hope I didn't come across as snippy. Didn't mean to. Having said that I would be surprised if your temps would improve by 5 degrees C by going to a better thermal paste. I can see maybe 1-2 degrees but even then it's worth it.

Cabbs: CPU Stepping JH-E6 is the stepping of this opty 180 DC

MollyMoo (I lol'd when i read that name :D!): When I seated the CPU I placed the Cooler thru the nylon rods, did the thumbscrews up till they touched the springs, then with both hands I turned each thumbscrew one turn each till the spring was just about fully compressed. That should be good enough to get a proper seating o_O?

Trents: Arctic Silver 5. When applied i started with a dot in the centre of the cpu and pushed it out to all 4 corners with my finger, then (lol) I used another CPU to spread it evenly over the surface. The swiftech coolers' base was also clean and free of any grime, and buffed up with me dremel tool and a cotton polishing wheel to get it back up to scratch (I like to do everything properly now, rather than run into problems later lol)

Misc: All settings in the BIOS have been reverted to Default. While in operation, i wiggled the cooler which yielded no results. Cpu #1 Core #2 was hitting 60 degrees C yesterday too (120f?)

I dunno much about the swiftech cooler, but personally I think you would be better off with a heatpipe-based cooler. Even an Arctic Cooling 64 Freezer Pro would be better imo. :shrug:

EDIT: :welcome: to OCForums.

I dunno much about the swiftech cooler, but personally I think you would be better off with a heatpipe-based cooler. Even an Arctic Cooling 64 Freezer Pro would be better imo. :shrug:

EDIT: :welcome: to OCForums.

News on that Front I guess :) Decided to watercool the sod lol.

So far I've got a DangerDen TDX 939
Ehiem 1048 Pump With Flowed fittings (Thanks to me dremel tool :D)
Innovatek Header tank (Was incredibly hard to find)
And a single 120mm Blackice Extreme Radiator - Which will be fine, only the CPU is going to be cooled at this stage.

Just need tubing and FeserOne Fluid :)

Ta for the welcome too :D - I guess i coud've gone to ocverclocks australia, but meh lol

Last edited:
Trents: Arctic Silver 5. When applied i started with a dot in the centre of the cpu and pushed it out to all 4 corners with my finger, then (lol) I used another CPU to spread it evenly over the surface. The swiftech coolers' base was also clean and free of any grime, and buffed up with me dremel tool and a cotton polishing wheel to get it back up to scratch (I like to do everything properly now, rather than run into problems later lol)

the oil and other substances from your finger is not good.
i use a plastic card or a plastic knife....
the hsf should be lapped with very fine sandpaper...
i would not use a dremmel...
the more paralel the two surfaces the better....and flat together..
the as5 should be used sparingly .005in. thick too much is not good,
the hsf should be tight enough not to move and should be tightened as evenly as possible....

the oil and other substances from your finger is not good.
i use a plastic card or a plastic knife....
the hsf should be lapped with very fine sandpaper...
i would not use a dremmel...
the more paralel the two surfaces the better....and flat together..
the as5 should be used sparingly .005in. thick too much is not good,
the hsf should be tight enough not to move and should be tightened as evenly as possible....

Few things you Misunderstood:

Cotton wheel was used on the dremel tool. Dude, it's soft and was only used to bring back the coppers lustre. I think somehow cotton may be softer than copper, but who knows..... (Complete sarcasm FYI)

It's a 939 board -_-, when not using the Retention frame there is only 2 holes. One at the top and one at the bottom to mount the cooler. It is inevitable that it can be moved slightly - Especially when using nylon rods, which also, was unavoidable.

Washed hands thoroughly prior to applying the AS-5 - That much is common-sense, Something I am not completely without.
:mad:
Read previous posts before blowing your own horn. I said "when screwing in the Heatsink I used both hands and tightened the screws on turn each in unison "....

Last edited:
good to see the n00bs duking it out.. :clap: for .nzproduKt
hmm.. i know what u need.. 220cfm @ 60db.. Delta GFB ftw :D i got one i can lend ya ;)

Hahaha xD. not sure I'm too much of a noob & I can certainly hold my own in an argument :p I did unlock my old Athlon XP1800 i had back in the day, and watercooled that - have always built my own pc's and Successfully windowed a Maxt0r u20 Hdd :D (Shame it only lasted 25 mins ish :D (forgot to have a hole in the glasstop for pressure forcing the heads onto the disc)

NO thanks to the Fan! Can hear the Current Vantec fan over my headphones, which aren't overly quiet - Watercooling on the way again, can't wait :D

Back