• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ ... never again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach3r0n

I am sitting here typing and I hear a 'zzzt' and the PC just dies. No rhyme or reason from my end. I frantically hit the power button, reset .. nothing. I turn off the OCZ PSU and start checking wires and everything is fine. I start wishing I had a smoke even though I quit over a year ago. I'm worried my entire brand new rig has just went up in smoke.

It's 2am and I actually went and put on my running pants just because I needed to relieve some stress. I decide to try 1 last time. I plug the PSU in and it starts flashing like mad along with the power phase lights on the mobo. Then it stops and everything goes quiet again. I turn it off and on 1 more time then I start mashing the power button like the angry German kid in the YouTube video. Success! It starts up again and everything seems to be working as normal.

Nearly the exact same thing happened to me a year or so ago with my OCZ 520W PSU. In that case, it happened 3 times. After the 3rd time, the PSU never rose again. They sent me this cheaply made replacement which seems to be acting up much sooner than the last one. This time I am going to buy a PSU now and replace this one before it dies completely and takes my entire rig with it.

the gamextreme unit from what i have online. is useing a cheaper oem pcb vs other makers and what was used in the OCZ Powerstream line years ago. i got a mod-x-treme unit for rma for my PS520 unit. if it lasts another year or two in the folding box it is in, i will be happy.

see your other thread in the psu section, off i go! lol

Back