• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ToughPower 700w + 8800gtx sli?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHUBEAR

Registered
hi there, havnt opened the box of my psu yet but i was just wondering before i do, would it have enough power to power my system?

My system specs are as follows:
E6600 @ 2.4 ghz (might overclock later)
4gb 667 ram ( 4x1gb )
8800GTX SLI
1 IDE ASUS DVD RW
2 SATA 160GB Harddrives running in RAID

Last edited:
I agree u won't have any issues with that psu & your system specs. you'll have headrrom to upgrade also.

Great, sure it would be enough? Well i wont be trying it for a few days as i dont have any spare time atm.

600w with SLI is already pushing it IMO lol.
you'd be much safer with 750w, as you WILL have headroom with an extra 750w.

i never knew GTX SLI could run on a 600w. :shrug:
interesting.
might be a diff story if you oc your cpu to 3ghz+ though. then it'll be draining 100w+ alone.

As long as that PSU can deliver on its claims, you shouldn't have a problem. I ran the Intel system in my sig (single 8800GTX, OC'ed as far as it would go without v-modding for benching) with a Corsair VX450 for well over a year without issue. Only upgraded b/c I was re-doing the water loop and had it apart anyway.

Just bear in mind Corsair's have beastly powerful +12v rails and I don't know if the Thermaltake can have the same said for it. I'm not saying anything bad about your PSU; while it wouldn't be my choice, I know absolutely nothing about its performance, so take that only as an "I don't know" rather than a "mine is better than yours." :)

Well, theoretically you could do that. I prefer not to run my PSU's above 75-80% of its capacity in order to keep it quiet (fan spinning up) and have enough headroom for o/c and transient response. You could add a quad core to that PSU and be fine, but that would be about it. I wouldnt run say 2 GTX 295's on it. :)

I guess it depends on what he meant by upgrading. You are looking at 500W+ usuage in stock form and 550W+ when the cards and dually are o/c. A quad would push that to 600W, which is about how high I would go on there.

interesting.

The system in my sig has been running fine since I built it 2 months ago... At full tilt the thing only pulls 465w from the wall, at least according to my kill-a-watt.

OP: You'd be fine with a 700w.

interesting.
might be a diff story if you oc your cpu to 3ghz+ though. then it'll be draining 100w+ alone.

Richard,

We have quite a few guys running 8800GTX's SLI with the Corsair HX620. He's fine.

Richard,

We have quite a few guys running 8800GTX's SLI with the Corsair HX620. He's fine.
Spot on. Though to be fair, that is one of the best PSU's if not the best in its class and has been known to be underated. Even if the rating was accurate, I would still run 8800gtx in sli on it.

Great, sure it would be enough? Well i wont be trying it for a few days as i dont have any spare time atm.
8800GTX SLI pulls around 230W at load. The ToughPower line from TT is one of the best in the business just to add on. You will be fine :thup:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it worked fabulously, but now i got my hands on an antec quattro 850w for cheap, so ill be using this now :D

I know you have more then enough power supply for your setup now but I figured I would chime in anyway since it may help someone else out in the future.

I am running 2 8800gtx's (overclocked), i7 920 @ 4.2ghz, 6gb dd3 1600 ram, 2 sata hd's, 1 sata dvd burner and this is all on a Silverstone st60f 600watt power supply. It seems that power supply "requirements" tend to be over rated from my own personal experience.

Back