• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paypal rant... Grrrr....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Ok, so its not bad enough that they raise their percentages all the damn time (and ebay) to the point where its damn near pointless to even use ebay/paypal, but now they want to hold my money!!

I sold something on ebay, check my paypal account, and see that its "on hold" pending shipment. I get it shipped out today (mind you the auction was was at like 4:30pm PST yesterday) by 9am PST, enter the tracking number, and they are still holding my money.

They are going to hold it until its delivered, pending any disputes. WOW, unbelievable. So now I cant even access my money, depending upon shipment times and whether this guy is honest. So here I ship off a $600 item with no money in my hands.

Honest people always get screwed in the end.

A couple months ago I had $100 held up for about a month... I was not a happy camper. There was a thread on here recently about this. No, ebay is now off limits. If I don't have the cash, the buyer doesn't get the product. It is foolish to do otherwise.

i learned that if you refund one cent to the buyer the money gets released :)

Whats weird is that I sold something on ebay last month but the payment was not held, but bidding ended at around $4 with $5 shipping so they probably hold payments if it is a larger amount of money to protect the buyer.

Paypal has always been insanity, but things have only gotten worse as Paypal has gotten bigger. How much will it take for Paypal to run off all of their customers?

I don't like paypal, it took me two weeks to get a refund of $250. it sat on "pending" for a week then on "hold" for another week

Honestly I am done with paypal after today. The place is a scam as the fees are ATROCIOUS.

Paypal fees are actually very good (compared to other Credit card accepting services)

eBay however is effin insane. Gotta start looking for other auction sites.

i learned that if you refund one cent to the buyer the money gets released :)

Whats weird is that I sold something on ebay last month but the payment was not held, but bidding ended at around $4 with $5 shipping so they probably hold payments if it is a larger amount of money to protect the buyer.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch! HAHAHA.. I tried it, refunded ONE penny, and it was immediately released! :D

**Edit** On second look, it did release the HOLD, however its still PENDING until I receive feedback or the buyer receives the item.. UGH wow. This is ridiculous :(

Paypal fees are actually very good (compared to other Credit card accepting services)

eBay however is effin insane. Gotta start looking for other auction sites.

As a former business owner, I can vouch for that. I'll 2nd the ebay comment too. I haven;t sold anything on fleabay in years.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch! HAHAHA.. I tried it, refunded ONE penny, and it was immediately released! :D

**Edit** On second look, it did release the HOLD, however its still PENDING until I receive feedback or the buyer receives the item.. UGH wow. This is ridiculous :(

I bet the buyer is thinking wtf why I have I just got 1p ?

I've had my fair share of issues with PP.

Plus, if done right it can be a very quick service to use to transfer money. If you have a "premium account" it sucks to the point that your paying now per transaction, if its still a "basically free account" its not as bad but still issues come.

I've had my fair share of disputes with them.
1) A $735 item... buyer nearly disputed right away, took 2 months before they started an investigation into the buyer with many many people complaining about it. After a month of that stopped receiving any e-mails about the issue. Finally 6 or 7 months after it happened, I got my money. Was shocked, didn't expect to get a dime since this guy was based out of China but still.

2) Shipped a CPU to France. Had enough issues with that one, saying it wasn't received. We'll yes it can get lost in shipping but with the agreement, said there was no tracking and no insurance on it since it cost more then the damn CPU to do such. I closed my PP account after the 30 day window from the last transaction. He stopped sending me e-mails so figure he got it. Kicker, well its been a while but I was receiving stuff from PP at one point in time that I had to pay half the cost of the CPU. Well half the cost made no since, and still no e-mail from the guy.

Now I have a collection agency that was calling me on it and said sorry I have no idea what your talking about because they wouldn't give any information about what was going on.

Course there was more issues with me as well, on non-tangible goods (electronic). Where I ended up not receiving probably close to 5-8 grand.

One nice thing about Paypal, if you close the account, and open an account with the exact same information (e-mail, name, address, etc) its not cross linked to the old account. Still amazes me how they got one address of mine though since well I just moved and I got mail from them once addressed to me dealing with my #2 story above and I never used that address before.

Ebay and paypal is getting a little too expensive to use. I just buy from Ebay now, don't sell anymore.

I just started using ebay. So far so good. As for pay pal, I have they have NEVER charged me a single cent for sending or receiving money, and I have been doing it for a LONG time. Not a single issue.

That's because you are not using the premium account. I used to sell some of my old stuff on ebay (used games...etc). The preferred method of receiving money will be paypal. It used to be that you can reject people using credit card via PP. You can only receive payment from cc via PP's premium account. Under the premium account, PP charges a additional fee for that. Of course, people started to reject cc payment via pp. Then Ebay created a rule where you CANNOT reject payment from credit card via pp. That was how Ebay/pp forced most people to upgrade to premium where they can charge extra when you receive payment from cc via pp. In that premium account, pp charges fee for receiving money on all transaction, cc or no cc.

So, if you are making payments, it's all cool, no extra charge. If you are receiving money, you are screwed.

That's because you are not using the premium account. I used to sell some of my old stuff on ebay (used games...etc). The preferred method of receiving money will be paypal. It used to be that you can reject people using credit card via PP. You can only receive payment from cc via PP's premium account. Under the premium account, PP charges a additional fee for that. Of course, people started to reject cc payment via pp. Then Ebay created a rule where you CANNOT reject payment from credit card via pp. That was how Ebay/pp forced most people to upgrade to premium where they can charge extra when you receive payment from cc via pp. In that premium account, pp charges fee for receiving money on all transaction, cc or no cc.

So, if you are making payments, it's all cool, no extra charge. If you are receiving money, you are screwed.

Yes that part sucks. One reason why I got rid of my premium account and went back to scratch. If I sell something, I don't want to be charged because the person uses a CC. I know businesses get hit with such fee's though, but I doubt its what the 3% of the total price (last time I remembered what the CC card was from PP).

Yes that part sucks. One reason why I got rid of my premium account and went back to scratch. If I sell something, I don't want to be charged because the person uses a CC. I know businesses get hit with such fee's though, but I doubt its what the 3% of the total price (last time I remembered what the CC card was from PP).
Actually, depending on the business's income and number of transactions, as well as what companies you are using to process your credit card transactions, it can easily be 3%, especially if it's American Express.

Actually, depending on the business's income and number of transactions, as well as what companies you are using to process your credit card transactions, it can easily be 3%, especially if it's American Express.

+1 Then there's also often a setup fee, a monthly fee and percentages are higher if your sales are lower.

Back