• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s1366 cooling - choices, choices, choices...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silencer51

Hello all,

well today I went ahead and got a brand new D0 920 i7, 6 gigs of OCZ Gold 1600Mhz DDR3 memory and a Gigabyte X58-UD4 board.

Everything works great (I upgraded from an Abit IP35 Pro + E6850), Vista 64bit just loaded up, detected the new hardware, and after the restart it was ready to go. And all that on a RAID-0 setup (thank god for compatibility between ICH9R and ICH10R raid-0).

However, it seems my CPU cooler choice was... mediocre.

I really wanted to go ahead with the upgrade today and I got the only s1366 cooler they had in stock at the store, namely a Nexus FLC-3000.

I had read about Nexus on the net and the cooler looked well made.

Unfortunately running at 2,8Ghz (turbo mode or whatever its called) and using Linx to stress test the system I am reading temps of up to 70-71 degrees Celsius across all cores after half an hour of testing.

Isn't that alarmingly high? I'm using AS5 and have been applying thermal paste and installing heatsinks for many years, so I doubt its something to do with the cooler's placement.

So maybe I made a bad choice. Recommend me a good s1366 cooler (doesn't have to be extra silent).

I have a spare Zalman CNPS9700NT which I can also use, provided I can find a bracket for it... Will it perform better than the Nexus?

Sunbeam CCTF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004 + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207005
The Nexus seems well made, but just isn't up at the level of the real coolers. (that one, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme/TRUE, Xigmatek Dark Knight, etc)

And no, don't use the CNPS9700. I have the LED version, and am really disappointed with it. Will get a new cooler when I upgrade and really start OCing..

Edit2: the temps aren't really alarming. i7s run hot, bit if you ever want to OC, that Nexus has to go.

The Thermalright Ultra-120 With The s1366 Mounting Hardware Would Probably Be The Best

And Do Not Use The CNPS9700 Like BG-0 Said

Back