• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sell 4850 or 9800GX2??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuiiey

Sup guys,

so what do you reckon?? I sell my 4850 and then using that money i hitch myself up with a secondhand 9800gx2??? I know the 9800gx2 has bad drivers but i just wonder how much of a performance gain would i recieve from the GX2 over the 4850??

any GX2 users out there???

I actually just picked up a 9800GX2 for crunching SETI. I plan on doing some benchmarks, before it goes to work, to compare to my 4850's in crossfire. I'll take some screenies of 3dMark 06 and Vantage, so you can see the difference. If I remember I'll disable CFX for a score with 1 4850 as well. I'm thinking it will go 4850 CFX, 9800GX2, 4850.

Holy! thats some serious performance when compared to the crossfire 4870 CF :). Oh btw i think that it is worth nothing that i game on a 17" screen:( Wanna get a 24 but working while still in school is pretty tedious!

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, i dont normally play games but the ones i do play are CoD4 and 5, GRID, Halo2 and HAWX. Thats about it. So yeah basically im not too fussed about the performance in games. Just wanted to know if you thought selling my 4850 and then buying my managers GX2 would be a good idea. Ive heard that the gx2 has some pretty bad drivers though...

Cheers. :santa: Just wondering btw, what drivers were those ATi cards using??? and what system do you run then in so i can sort of get a gauge between my computer and you computer?

Cheers. :santa: Just wondering btw, what drivers were those ATi cards using??? and what system do you run then in so i can sort of get a gauge between my computer and you computer?

They're running on the system in my sig. And the ATi cards where on Cat 9.4. From a frame rate standpoint, you would be better off to go crossfire, but if your motherboard doesn't support that option, then the 9800GX2 would be viable. It depends on how cheap you can get it. There are better performing GPU's out there around the same price, but not in a X2 configuration... which is the only reason why I bought it:)

Back