• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Temp for 9800 GTX+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caedis

Linux Gaming Guru
I have a Nvidia 9800 GTX+ and I need to know if anyone knows what the max temp it can handle should be before it begins to damage the card?

Usually GPU's can take a pretty good amount of heat. How hot is it getting under load?

Well really I'm setting a system alarm temp so when it hit ythat temp it ejects me from what ever game im in and lets the GPU cool off before it melts. So it's cool right now, running at ~60c under high load OCed.

If you're running that cool, I'd set it to around 80 or 90. That's well away from dangerous, but enough to tell you if something goes wrong.

about 120c, but it would shut down before or around that temp

I've had bad experiences with that 120c limit. Usually by the time it hits that temp your GPU is done for already.

Few years ago a friend of mine bought a Arctic Cooling Heatsink for is 6800GT (at the time a 500$ card) and it didnt seat on the core perfectly (poor installation on his part) we watched as his core temp was at 100 then 120 then started literally smoking before it melted the core forever ruining it. So is 120 really the max? or is it the max before it catches fire? :)

If you're running that cool, I'd set it to around 80 or 90. That's well away from dangerous, but enough to tell you if something goes wrong.

Sounds reasonable, I'll go for 90c.

Thanks guys!

I run stock cooling at 70% 24/7 and I never hit anything above 65 under load. (with oc'ed settings.) I idle around 26*C.

Caedis, i own one and wondering how high you've clocked the carD?

highest i can get on stock cooling (paste changed) was 820/1220

after water cooling i can get 850/1230 and load temps of 32C :)

Spawn, the second is your memory clock correct? I wonder why yours won't go too high... I can run 1325mhz (real, 2650mhz effective) on stock gtx+ volts with stock cooling...

Caedis, i own one and wondering how high you've clocked the carD?

highest i can get on stock cooling (paste changed) was 820/1220

after water cooling i can get 850/1230 and load temps of 32C :)

Stock air cooled, original paste:
clocks.png

I haven't really worked to hard to OC it too much as I can play all my games on Ultra at over 60fps. So until I get Crysis, I'm in no hurry

Yeah, I really haven't pushed the issue since it's superfluous to OC past the point I notice a difference in games. But I already have a Liquid Cooled wish list ready for later this year after I finish buying all the parts I want for this comp. At that point I'll prolly OC some more.

well nice to know i just got a bum card. i have volt modded on the stock cooling but only got to up 890 on the core and it was unstable. even at 840 it was unstable even though it's fine at 820.

once i get around to it i plan to re attach the volt mod and see what i can get with it being under water now.

Back