• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo Wii Disk Reading Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I just recently got a disk read error when trying to load either both single and dual layered wii games. Is my laser dead or is there some kind of fix for this? I really don't feel like sending the system back to Nintendo if they outrageous fees. Any help would be great. thanks! :beer:

Have you recently opened it to install a modchip or something? The ribbon connector on the drive is a little bit sketchy on a lot of Wiis and there can be a bad connection even if it looks like it's seated properly.

Like SunRedRX7 said in any case yes the first choice would be to send your Wii back to Nintendo if it's under warranty. If you can't/don't want to do that a new drive motor seems to run about $15 but it's not much fun ripping the drive apart to replace it. A new drive itself is about $80.

So the next question is if you can tell if the disc spins up?

I had a Wii given to me with a dead drive motor. If by chance you installed the HomeBrew Channel using the Twilight Princess savestate hack there are rumors that older versions of it would never spool down the DVD drive motor - thus the motor died after being on 24/7 for a few months.

Unfortunately I could never find any solid info on this, plus the fact that HomeBrew channel is supposed to autoupdate itself so it never made much sense to me.

But if you have any sort of Nintendo warranty left, use that first! If not then it's time to buy a tri-wing screwdriver and get busy.

http://wiki.nintendo-scene.com/index.php?title=Wii_disassembly

My Wii had issues, but it was covered under warranty. Had to send it back twice for disk read errors.

If it is still under warranty just send it back. It is a very easy process.

Give Nintendo a call and let them know. As long as it's under warranty you won't have to pay a dime, and even if it's not under warranty the fix should be reasonably priced.

I've got nothing but praise for Nintendo's customer service. Every other company on the planet should aspire to be as customer-oriented as Nintendo is.

I've got nothing but praise for Nintendo's customer service. Every other company on the planet should aspire to be as customer-oriented as Nintendo is.

Big +1 on that. I used to call them every couple weeks when I was 12 or so. 1-800-255-3700, IIRC. Just to chat with the reps and see what games were coming out soon and which ones were good. It seemed like the people manning the phones were as into gaming as me, and didn't get short with me even after 10-15 minutes of juvenile nerdly prattling on my part.

Back