• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4850 vs. 4850CFX vs. 9800GX2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nzaneb

3dMark 06
Asus 4850 TOP

4850Single.jpg

EVGA 9800GX2 PhysX ON

9800GX2PhysXON.jpg

2 x Asus 4850 TOP in CrossFireX

4850CFX.jpg

3dMark Vantage

Asus 4850 TOP

4850SingleVantage.jpg

EVGA 9800GX2 PhysX ON

9800GX2PhysXonVantage.jpg

2 x Asus 4850 TOP in CrossFireX

4850CFXVantage.jpg

Dude, PhysX off please? That's not any kind of comparative with PhysX on with the 9800GX2... :/

Yeah... I know it's not comparative, I hadn't gotten around to running it yet. I just wanted to see if it could out do the CFX with it on first... and it does, just barely. This is by no means an attempt at a review, I was switching over to 9800GX2 for SETI and thought I'd post it up some quick screen shots for someone who was looking for them. Coming primarily from the ATi camp... I know what PhysX does to scores, so no need to preach. The non-PhysX runs will be added later.

Indeed....how DARE you fully utilize a gfx card? :p :bang head

:) Don't most people game with PhysX on anyway? If you have it... why would you have it off? Strictly for comparative purposes, I would WANT to see a run with PhysX on. I compare frame rates anyway (not the final score); which is the reason for the order they're in.

Yeah... Do not awaken the beast :D

This is actually very easily answered.

Vantage is supposed to give you a general idea of how a graphics card performs. Keep in mind that:

1. Not all games support GPU PhysX
2. The performance improvement with GPU PhysX enabled in Vantage is not representative of the performance improvement in other games with GPU PhysX enabled.

This is actually very easily answered.

Vantage is supposed to give you a general idea of how a graphics card performs. Keep in mind that:

1. Not all games support GPU PhysX
2. The performance improvement with GPU PhysX enabled in Vantage is not representative of the performance improvement in other games with GPU PhysX enabled.

Yeah, I was originally whining just because I had the idea that the Vantage score increases with nVidia cards if PhysX if enabled, and therefore non-real-life-crap of the PhysX makes the 9800GX2 look quite much better than it actually is... Not that benchamrk scores matter anything IRL anyways but... *shrug*

Back