• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looks Like Yet Another Silencer 750W Failure...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aslan

My PC started making a melted plastic smell (as mentioned in this thread), and as soon as I swapped the Silencer 750W PSU out for a spare Antec Truepower Trio 650W, the smell is basically gone. I was a bit surprised at this as the smell didn't appear to be coming from the PSU at first whiff; I guess convection carried it up into the case...

I only bought the thing 3 months ago, although I'm not sure if I'm going to bother RMA'ing it as I have to pay shipping both ways. Maybe I'll fluke out and there will be a OCZ RMA center in Vancouver. :rolleyes:

On another downside, the hard drive might be dying as a result of this, no SMART errors yet, but a loud clicking sound is slowly becoming more rapid. :rolleyes:

OCZ is going to need mobile RMA units in all major cities at this rate. My 600W LameXStream is on its last leg. I can only hope it hold out until May 12th when my Corsair arrives.

This is highly disappointing. OCZ seems to have started putting their hand of death on their best product line. Best mostly because they didn't touch it when they bought it. Guess that's changed. Poor PC Power & Cooling. I used to recommend them right next to Corsair (which, yes, are all Seasonic or CWT made, they just look so pretty!)

Back