• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, Overclocking Intel E2140

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iri0001

Hi, I'm fairly new to overclocking so please be a little patient.

I have a pentium dual core e2140, stock speed is 1.6ghz

i want to overclock it, however ive tried to raise the fsb on the bios but so far i cant get the fsb above 210 without windows not starting

im running 2gb pc5200 667 ram, dual channel. my motherboard is a gigabyte ga-945gcmx-s2

the reason i want to overclock is my comouter is very, very slow.

thanks in advance

I'm afraid that 945G motherboards are known to be poor overclockers. :( However yours does support up to 266FSB (or 1066 quad-pumped) which should give you some room for oc'ing. What BIOS version is on your board currently? Another thing to check is what speed your RAM is running with 200FSB. If it's set to run with an up multiplier the RAM may be failing to work at an even higher speed.

Wanting to overclock because your computer is slow is what oc'ing is all about :) What do you do with your computer exactly where you feel it's slow? I've recently used a similar CPU, actually a slower dual core Celeron, and it was decent.

hi madman 007, thanks alot for the reply

the ram is at 667mhz (at 3.33)

my computer cant even play flash videos without lagging...

what do u suggest i set evrything to on the bios?

it is an award modular v6.00pg, the version is f4
thanks again

The lagging may have something to do with your video card more than the CPU. What kind of video card do you have?

thanks for replying again

yes, i have **** video card, a nvidia 7300gs

but everything is slow on my computer, not just playing video

i really just need someone to tell what to set my bios to to make my e2140 get at least 2ghz

if this doesent work, i might have to get a pentium 4 3.8ghz, which i dont have the money for

PLEASE HELP!

thanks

What exact RAM do you have? Although it should be able to do a little bit over its rated speed you never know. Try setting a lower ratio so the RAM is <=667MHz then try a higher than 200MHz FSB.

How can I overcloack my e2140?I have Microstar motherboard MSI ms-7255.
2X1GB kingstone RAM @667mhz.What are the steps? HEEELLLP.

Hi Game and :welcome: to OC Forums.

The first thing you should do do is read the OC Guide to learn the basics. You will also need to figure out which board you are using. The MSI MS-7255 applies to 4 different motherboards. Once you've read the guide & figured out which mobo, please start a new thread with any specific questions.

thanks for replying again

yes, i have **** video card, a nvidia 7300gs

but everything is slow on my computer, not just playing video

i really just need someone to tell what to set my bios to to make my e2140 get at least 2ghz

if this doesent work, i might have to get a pentium 4 3.8ghz, which i dont have the money for

PLEASE HELP!

thanks

First of all, welcome to the forums...:welcome:

... and lets get one thing out of the way: Even at stock frequency, the E2140 is STILL a Conroe based CPU and will blow away the old P4 3.8 out of the water, so you'd be waising your money (which you don't have) there...
Maybe you need to look at software (corrupt driver, virus, etc) as the culprate behind your problems, not the hardware...

Now, onto the important stuff...
When you get into BIOS, and adjust CPU FSB, make sure you lock the PCI Express at 100MHz. Don't leave on Auto. With the first 30~50MHz FSB increments, you shouldnt need to mess with the Vcore at all, so that right there should get you to 2GHz (8x250) without much effort.
If it's unstable during the first few increments, I'd look at the RAM as the problem. You sure you have PC5200? Or is it PC4200 RAM? IF so, you'd definitely need more V's on the RAM to make the system stable at anything over 200FSB. Play with the System Memory Mulitplier to see what other options you have.

Other than that, from what I've seen, the particular mobo you're running is not the most stellar when it comes to overclocking...:-/

Hi Game and :welcome: to OC Forums.

The first thing you should do do is read the OC Guide to learn the basics. You will also need to figure out which board you are using. The MSI MS-7255 applies to 4 different motherboards. Once you've read the guide & figured out which mobo, please start a new thread with any specific questions.

It is P4M900.I have American Megatrends Inc. BIOS version 5.5. Motherboard MSI MS-7255 2.0
I have seen this with CPU-Z. Socket is 775 LGA. DRAM frequency 333.4 Mhz.
I would like to overcloack just a little.example 1.8 Ghz.I try to move fsb from 200 MHz to 210 Mhz but Windows restarts.

Last edited:
You should easily get farther than 1.8GHz, but there are several BIOS settings you need to change. (I'm looking at the P4M900M manual).

Under the Advanced BIOS Features/CPU Configuration you should Disable C1E Support.
C1E sometimes has another part called EIST, but I can't find it in your BIOS. Its purpose is to slow your CPU clock speed when idle to save energy & keep it cool. However, it can also cause instability when overclocking.

As you increase the FSB, your RAM will increase too. So you want to lower the RAM from 333MHz/DDR667 to 266MHz/DDR533. This will give you room to increase the CPU speed but make sure the RAM doesn't get too high & cause problems. DRAM Frequency is in the Advanced Chipset Setup section.

You might need to adjust the DRAM Timings too, but leave it Auto to start.

Last stop is the Cell Menu to start overclocking. First Disable Spread Spectrum, make sure the PCI Express Frequency is set to 100MHz and the PCI Frequency is 33.3MHz (those last two are very important!).

Now try increasing the CPU FSB Frequency from 200 to 225 & see if you can get into Windows.

I have opend household and it writes there MSI MS-7255 M2 .Is this the same as MSI MS-7255 M ?
Yes I just have cheking this options and PCI Express Frequency is 100 and AGP PCI IS 33,33 .How can I return to former settings,if I want?
In first memory slot is Kingstone PC2-4300 (266 Mhz) 1GB, DDR 2
And in second Apacer Technology PC2-5300 (333 Mhz) 1GB. DDR2

Last edited:
I can't seem to find C1E Support.Are you sure it's called like that? My RAM is alredy at 533.

The C1E Support might also be call EIST, or SpeedStep. The P4M900M & P4M900M2 have the same chipset, so they should be very similar. The differences are things like number of SATA ports, maximum memory support, and LAN speed of the onboard network.

Your first post only mentioned the DDR667 RAM, not the DDR533 RAM. That slower RAM might be why you have trouble at 210MHz.

Could you post a screenshot with 4 instances of CPU-Z open? CPU tab, Memory Tab, and SPD Tab with each stick of RAM highlighted.

Um, yeah, I had a senior moment earlier today. :eek:

See if you can set your memory to DDR400/200MHz.

Here it is:
I have puted resolution 1024*768 maybe you can't see it.
picturehu.png

Last edited:
I couldn't see your picture, but this link seem to work.
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6300/picturehu.png

Looking at your screen-shot I can see your RAM is running 333.4 MHz, which is DDR667. That means your PC2-4200 is already being overclocked, so you need to lower it to provide head-room for the CPU overclock. Find the DRAM Frequency and manually lower it to DDR533. What choices are you given for that option?

There are 400 , 533 and 667. So I should only change to 533,disable speed step,and raise fsb a little ?
when I enter bios my dram is set to automatic cuirently at 533.Werd?dont you think.
Can I do anything with program MSI Dual core centar ?

Last edited:
Yes, set it to 533, then Disable SpeedStep (or EIST, C1E, whatever they call it). Also Disable Spread Spectrum, make sure the PCI Express Frequency is set to 100MHz and the PCI Frequency is 33.3MHz (those last two are very important!). After those changes, you can try raising the FSB again.

It is weird that you see 533 in BIOS and CPUz says it is 667. I trust CPUz in most cases. Check the Memory tab after you change the setting in BIOS. DRAM Frequency should say 266 MHz, that is DDR533.

I'm not familar with MSI Dual core center, but it is always best to overclock in BIOS. The MSI software may have some good monitoring features though.

Back