• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about TRUE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Just a real quick question. Does the TRUE benefit at all from an ultra high speed high static pressure fan? The one I am thinking about using is this one, but if the fan is not going to be of any benefit to it, I will not order it. I haven't pulled the trigger on ordering either one yet, but do plan to in the next few days. What would you guys recommend? This rig folds at 100% CPU usage 24/7 in the Arizona heat, and I am running at stock clocks with the stock HSF running around 55° C. I really want to bring these temps down, so that I can get a decent OC on this rig.

High speed fans are what true benefits from the most .
:thup:

high speed low static pressure fans don't perform as well as high speed high static pressure fans.
for example, take the Scythe Slipstream and Scythe S-flex fans.
both can come in 1900rpm models.

the Slipstream claims a higher CFM, but if you stick one on the TRUE, the S-Flex performs better. this is due to the fin design etc etc...
so you'd benefit most from high speed high static pressure fans.

As you see from this chart for a TRUE Black

attachment.php

from one fan @1500 RPM to 2 fans in push-pull @3000 RPM you gain 9°C at same frequency and Vcore.

The thicker the fan, the higher the static pressure will be, all other things being equal. So go for the 32 or 38mm thick fans instead of the 25mm fans. Silverstone makes a nice 32mm thick fan, two ball bearing with speed controller, for about $16 on Egg. I've got two of them on my TRUE.

The thicker the fan, the higher the static pressure will be, all other things being equal. So go for the 32 or 38mm thick fans instead of the 25mm fans. Silverstone makes a nice 32mm thick fan, two ball bearing with speed controller, for about $16 on Egg. I've got two of them on my TRUE.

The fan I have chosen is a Panaflo 120x38mm Ultra High Speed. It cranks out close to 115 CFM, and at around 46 db (not an issue to me, I already have one running as my intake and I love it). I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going overkill on the fan, before I pulled the trigger and went with the order. The fan has a 3 pin plug on it, but I will not be going directly to the mobo, instead I will be going through my fan controller which has a 3 pin plug that goes to the fan, with another one set up as a pass through for RPM monitoring on the board. My next cooling project will be my 9800 GT, as it doesn't seem to run as cool as I would like.

Now that I think about it, I also have another question. I have always used as5, but I have about 4 tubes of the TIM that comes with the ThermalRight's. I do remember reading somewhere that it is not just your average white goop, and is actually a very high quality compound. Does anyone know where I may have read this or have confirmation of this?

Depends on what the TIM tubes are labeled like. If they say "Chill Factor" on the tube, then it's the premium stuff. If it just is labeled Thermalright, then it's not the real good stuff; more like Arctic Alumina.

As you see from this chart for a TRUE Black

attachment.php

from one fan @1500 RPM to 2 fans in push-pull @3000 RPM you gain 9°C at same frequency and Vcore.

is there a difference between the TRUE and TRUE black?
apart from the appearance. if there's a good enough performance difference, i'd sell my TRUE for a TRUE black. black looks way better

Depends on what the TIM tubes are labeled like. If they say "Chill Factor" on the tube, then it's the premium stuff. If it just is labeled Thermalright, then it's not the real good stuff; more like Arctic Alumina.

I don't think any of the tubes say "Chill Factor", so that must make them the equivalent of Arctic Alumina? Is there actually any good use for it? If the as5 is that much better performance wise I will use that, and just keep the other stuff for one of those times when I am in a pinch.

Nothing. The black finish is cosmetic only and it will come off with wear and tear. Even the all-copper TRUE which is much heavier and more expensive only gains you about 2 degrees C over the conventional TRUE.

I decided to hold off on the TRUE for now. I found a Xigmatek HDT-D1264 in the classies for $25. Going to give it a go, as reviews are few and far between and post up a review on it. Here is the only review I could find on it, which is a side by side comparison with the Big Typhoon VX. Expect to see some results posted.

I don't think any of the tubes say "Chill Factor", so that must make them the equivalent of Arctic Alumina? Is there actually any good use for it? If the as5 is that much better performance wise I will use that, and just keep the other stuff for one of those times when I am in a pinch.
I'm using the CF and it works well. Comes free with the new True.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 58
Back