• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Printer Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesgig

Disabled
I am trying out the Win7 RC and got everything installed without a problem with the exception of my printer (HP Photosmart 1115). I also have an HP scanner (G4050) and windows installed it on its own and found updated drivers for it. However the printer is not being so cooperative. I susupect it is just because it is so old that Microsoft did not include it in their list, but either way, I would like to make it work. I have tried installing the newest drivers from HP, but it still does not make it through the installation. Strangely, on the Devices and Printers menu, the os recognizes the device as an HP photosmart 1115, but it is under Unspecified. If I open up the options it has all of the standard printer services associated with it, but I cannot change it from unspecified to printer. Any suggestions?

Thanks

How old is the photosmart 1115? and does it work with vista?

I've had printers that wouldn't work with vista before. Dunno about win7 though I would think it was much the same.

It is probably 6-7 years old, and I do not have a vista machine at home to test on. I figured that I may have problems with it. It just surprises me that it recognizes it as the printer and lists all the printer services under the hardware tab, but wont recognize it as a printer.

I ran a troubleshoot and it says that the Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support does not have a driver. Does anyone know if there is one availble for Win7. A quick search of microsoft's site did not yeild much.

Thanks

HP doesn't offer Vista or Win7 drivers for the Photosmart 1115. They discontinued both driver and software support after XP.

Are there any 3rd party drivers that may work? I would prefer not to have to purchase a new printer or always switch back to xp to print, but its not like I have not gotten my money's worth out of the thing either.

Back