• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered my XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Today.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

I was going to go with the sunbeam as recommended, but after looking around different websites, the sunbeam rated highly, but the Highest seem to be the TRUE, Tuniq Tower, OCZ Vendetta2 and the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 with the later being the "budget buy".

All of the higher end air coolers seem to have the same design, larger or more heatpipes (with direct pipe contact), Large radiator design, with most looking the same. Vertical rising heatpipes that go to both sides of the radiator and a fan. Because the Xigmatek has the typical clip mount design and because it is the budget of the three, I went ahead and got that one.

Anything pro/con I should be watching out for?

Also make sure to get the Crossbow bolt thru kit for it as well, and have you got decent TIM ( AS5 or MX-2 ) ect,

Why the bolt through kit? I kinda wanted a simpler solution. The reason why I didn't select the other coolers was because I didnt want the hassle of taking my motherboard out to install it.

Man.... If you don't remove the mobo you can't check if the pins are in place properly. You don't know how many posts over the years I see peeps complain about the same issue.

Temps are bad??? Whatta I do? You check the pins? No.... Check by removing the Mobo. Ahh. one pin wasn't all the way in.

Ohh and I ordered the screw set with the back plate later, and my temps dropped 4C!!!!

Lesson learned. Pins suck. Not removing the mobo to do the work means you just buy a Dell or an Apple and use the warrenty service. You don't want to do the work....DON'T mod.

In your sig I see "Cheap-Fast-Effective" You forgot Lazy.

Harsh words, but I seen it more than enuff. Hope this helps you in your future PC builds.

I appreciate your harsh criticism, but It isn't about being lazy, its about not bolting on a bunch of stuff to my motherboard. I have read enough horror stories about trying to install these things, and if it doesn't fit then I am up S*** creek without a paddle. I have bought stuff in haste in the past and I am doing things a little slower now. Forgive me for not being rich like you Mr. I drive a i7 and GTX280, but some of us have to buy what we can afford and not what is best. If I mess it up, I don't get a do over.

Last edited:
It's not what you can afford. I was on Air and been through the problems overclocking. I had a TT V1 cooler and many many previous ones to old to mention. I did install the HS before mounting the mobo in the case. I fought like hell getting the pins right. I had read (research) that you better install it before you put the mobo in the case. It was not fun.
I have been through it before you. Been reading forums and learning from others mistakes before me and before you. First PC was ohh 1992? So give my latest rig a break. Once you been at it as long as I have imagine what your rig will be.....

Looks like I got your attention, and thanks for appreciating my rig. Linky....
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=604016

I have been at it since 1985 on a trash-80. I appreciate comments, but quit talking down to me because you have 1600 posts and a more expensive system. If I could spend as much as you on a system, I would have just let a professional build it for me. I know what I am doing and I CHOOSE to not bolt my HSF to the Mobo just yet. YES, it may be a mistake, but let me make that mistake and don't talk down to me.

Maybe you should try it as a suggestion based off of your past experience rather than calling someone lazy because they didn't do it just like you.

Spending 2-3 hours removing a mobo, installing a backplate, mounting a screw type mounting bracket, savoring every 3 turn in a crosswise pattern till the mount is solid and perfect. Then removing it, checking TIM paste laydown, cleaning the HS and chip with acre and doing it again but better the second time is a PC hobby dream of a nice Sunday afternoon......

Then another hour installing the Mobo and booting it up in all it's glory............... Cool Fast, I did it!

I retract the lazy word then, sorry.

Thank you. I am sorry I do not get as much enjoyment out of computers as you.

I build a good computer, then don't open the box again unless something breaks or its time for a new one (5 years later.)

I am a mechanic by trade, and I do not relish taking stuff apart anymore. Especially tiny plastic components that tend to break if too much pressure is applied.

If your tip was that I should do the bolt on kit for better temps, I will keep that in mind. I will however make sure that I correctly install the HSF.

What I wanted to know was, is it a fairly decent HSF for my q6600. All of the reviews I have read puts it in the top5.

LOL! Me too! I work on it all from circuit cards to 100 lb gears and 300 lb rollers. It's a real pain to have to go from one to the other. But I make do, hired as a elec tech, but if it's broke, let's fix it. I hate ink stains on my underwear, but I do get payed.

Well ya got the idea, I hope you decide what to buy/do. Many get best temps with a backplate and a screw down for the HS. The really good HS only ship with the screws, and the backplate can be extra. Depends what your lookin for. Best temps or good temps.

Just pull the Mobo no matter what ya get, cuz you might as wll get it right the first time. Rework is free at home, not at work. Home rework just ****es ya off more.

And I have that many posts? I need a real life.......

Brutal I dont think anyone is talking Down to You, Just trying to give Very Good Advice,

I mentioned the Bolt Thru kit as already stated the Push pins are Rubish, and sometimes even come loose later on down the track of time, if not securely done first time with the M/B ot of case.

The reason for the Bolt thru kit which doesnt cost an arm and leg to get, that it does provide better mounting pressure to CPU thus a gain from lower temps.

I have a post here in this section on a Bolt thru Mod ,, I made my own, manly because suppliers were out of stock at the time, did this to both My OCZ Vendetta and AC Freezer 7 Heatsinks and was the better for Temps wise by 4-10C

Here is the Link to My Post on Modding with Custom made Bolt Thru
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=592206&highlight=OCZ+bolt+thru

I will keep this in mind. I just didn't want to end up paying for another 10 dollars turning my good deal into a not so good deal. Times are tough and I had to go for two years w/o fixing my computer when I really should have, now when I started on my build I got two flat tires and a busted rim. Spending 400 on a new rim and tires leaves little room for finishing my computer. Yes I know, I could just leave it stock, but I will manage to squeeze out a couple bucks every couple weeks for it. I just can't get it all at once.

LOL! Me too! I work on it all from circuit cards to 100 lb gears and 300 lb rollers. It's a real pain to have to go from one to the other. But I make do, hired as a elec tech, but if it's broke, let's fix it. I hate ink stains on my underwear, but I do get payed.

Well ya got the idea, I hope you decide what to buy/do. Many get best temps with a backplate and a screw down for the HS. The really good HS only ship with the screws, and the backplate can be extra. Depends what your lookin for. Best temps or good temps.

Just pull the Mobo no matter what ya get, cuz you might as wll get it right the first time. Rework is free at home, not at work. Home rework just ****es ya off more.

And I have that many posts? I need a real life.......

Bahaha! I have you beat! I have 1900+ in just under 3 months... :bang head: I need a life!

And to brute, I half recommended the sunbeam because you take your intel clip off the mobo from the top, and then push the pins of the 775 attachment in... To me, a solid one piece bracket with four pins will hold something down better than two one piece brackets with two pins each... But that is just me :screwy:

Edit: Woah Woah Woah, I just realized you went into conundrum's profile to get dirt on him... And then you used the post number against him? I have more posts than him and you don't see me telling people as good of advice as him. Thus proving post number makes no difference. IMO 1000 GREAT posts> 2000 GOOD posts.

I didn't look up dirt. I was seeing who was giving advise.

I wasn't putting him down because obviously he knows what he is doing.

Some people in my estimation just take stuff a little overboard. If I can get "similar" performance for less time/money, then that is what I do.

I know for example that an i7 is better than my Q6600 but since I don't use the q6600 to its full extent anyways, then I can settle for middle of the road.

I gave up "Superfying" computers 10 years ago because it is no longer about the challeng of doing it. It has become about how much you can afford.

BTW, to close this out. I never ever said anything about what to afford. I said push pins suck. I said not removing the mobo to install a HS is a bad idea.

Thats all I said, not a peep about what to buy and what to spend.

I have the same heatsink and i never bothered with the backplate... its been on for 8 months and my temps are fantastic... i know they are a PITA to fit properly, but if you make sure all the push pins are in correctly there shouldnt be a problem...

If price is a concern why dont you just get the bolts and backplate instead of the complete set? http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html
I doubt $6 is going to break the bank and those pushpins DO break extremely easily. Not to mention you get lower temps as well.
+1 I have that bolt kit on my Xigmatech 1283 and it works great. You can also see if its cheaper to make your own at the hardware store.

Or you could get the Xig 1283 Dark Knight and call it a day... it comes with the back plate as a kit for like $5 more...

Back