• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 120/140mm fans < 35 dBA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Right now I have two Yate Loon D12SM-12 and they are rated as 70.5 CFM @ 33 dBA. Since I sit right next to my case I can't stand much higher than that (I would actually prefer them to be quieter if there is any way).

The fans that come stock with the Antec 300 seem to be better though: the 120mm is 79 CFM @ 30 dBA and the 140mm is 94.6 CFM @ 31.8 dBA. Do these seem like legitimate specs?

Are the fans for heatsink use or are they going to be mounted as case fans? Because if they are just case fans, the Scythe Slipstream fans are a good choice also. But they don't have good static pressure so they work less well as a heatsink fan. The S-Flex fans are a good all around choice. And for heatsink use the Panaflo L1BX and M1BX are great fans too, but are 120 X 38 mm fans and might give you clearance problems in a small case.

I'm very satified with the Thermalright TR-FDB-1600 (63.7 CFM / 28.0 dB/A). It is very quiet for the CFM. I just removed a new Scythe (Kama not S-flex) from my case because it was buzzing (not loud, but irritating pitch). I guess it's personal preference, but the fan's pitch is often worse than the dba. I also tried Noctua and SilenX but was unhappy with the air flow. You might also want to consider Nexus. I have an S-Flex in transit, that I'm going to test next.

Right now I have two Yate Loon D12SM-12 and they are rated as 70.5 CFM @ 33 dBA. Since I sit right next to my case I can't stand much higher than that (I would actually prefer them to be quieter if there is any way).

The fans that come stock with the Antec 300 seem to be better though: the 120mm is 79 CFM @ 30 dBA and the 140mm is 94.6 CFM @ 31.8 dBA. Do these seem like legitimate specs?

i own both Scythe and Yateloon 120mm / 140mm fans. let me tell you for the price the yateloon's are superior. dead quiet with good airflow. if price is not the case then the Scythe S-Flex is better they sound the same as the yateloon's but pushes just a tad more air out but their too expensive.

you can get 5
120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Case Fan - Black (47 CFM, 28 dBA) for $4.99 Each or 4 for $15.96
http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa.html

or

only 1
120mm Scythe SFF21F S-FLEX™ Case Fan (63.7 CFM/28 dBA) for $15.99
http://www.petrastechshop.com/12scsfscafan1.html

your Yateloon D12SM that you have will sound a bit loud because they run at a faster RPM then the D12SL........you could just get a fan controller and lower the speed.

I just put a Scythe S-Flex SFF21E in my case. It's not very loud, but it's airflow is weak at 100%. I'm still looking for a better balance of CFM to noise. The Gelid Wing fans look good, except for the price.

Back