• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vista x86 firewalls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

I just went to Vista 64 bit home premium and found that my Firewall of choice was not avilable for the x86 environment nor was it compatible :bang head so I wanted to ask my brethern what firewall software other vista x86 users are using :beer:

I assume you mean x64. :) Anyway, I gave up on that. Outpost is the king of BSOD. Comodo apparently doesn't play too nicely with Vista x64, not to mention the problems it has with wireless. Malware Defender doesn't work on x64 at all. Zone Alarm isn't even as good as the Windows Firewall ... I could go on but you get the idea. At the moment I am using the Windows Firewall. If you open a new MMC you can access the custom configuration for it also, including blocking outbound connections. x64 in and of itself offers a bit of protection as there are few script kiddy tools to assist in hacking x64.

Yes, sorry, Vista home premimum 64-bit. Yes, I'm behind a router and I have configured the firewall on it as well. I always liked having the operating system level of control which I never felt that NIS did very well at all (neither has windows, in the past).

I just use MS's firewall. And guess you could call PeerGuaridan a firewall of some sorts, I use this as well, though it is totally beta software but it does work. Even have to disable it to get access to some sites.

Me I hide behind 2 hardware firewalls (1 cable modem / router) and another supposedly better one on the newer router I purchased recently.

Back