• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet i7 Running Warm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdagger

Registered
I built a quiet i7 system. I'm trying maximize speed/noise w/o water.
  • Lian Li PC-6070 Silent case w/ 3 80mm Nexus fans
  • EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58
  • i7 920
  • EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX260
  • VelociRaptor 300
  • G.SKILL 3 x 2GB PC3 1600
  • Corsair HX520W w/120MM fan
My PC is whisper quiet, but my initial CPU temps were 56°c idle / 75°c load (no OC). I swapped the stock Intel CPU fan for a True 1366 which lowered both temps 5°c. Next I tested with the side panel removed which improved temps substantially to 36°c idle / 56°c load. Obviously, I can't leave the side panel off, but the case needs more airflow. Any recommendations on how to increase CFM w/o dba (I'd really like to keep the case)?

Attachments

• Case2.jpg
    Case2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 300
  • Case1.jpg
    Case1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 295
Do you have enough room to enlarge the 80mm fan to a 120?
No, the case is too narrow. I could put an 80mm to 120mm adapter and have the fan on the outside of the case although it would partially block some of the connectors and the vent for the p/s.

Hmm, cut a blowhole in the top? You have only a single 80mm fan and your PSU to exhaust your air....
I'm sure you're right and I might end up doing that, but I'd like to try other solutions first because of noise. Also since there are currently 2 fans in and 2 fans out (3 if you include the video card which vents out the back), is it less effective to add more out without increasing the intake? I'm thinking maybe I need another intake fan on the bottom of the case.

I don't believe that would work as you would still have an 80mm hole. How about the side panel, is there enough room to cut in a 120mm fan high and to the rear as an exhaust?

Another option, and I don't know how it would work. Top 120mm blowhole, or 120mm exhaust high in your 5 1/4" bays, and reverse your rear and cpu fan. rear 80mm intake, cpu fan blowing to the front of the case. Hey, I'm throwing out ideas.

The biggest problem is you don't have enough airflow through the case. The GPU is hot too I bet. 80mm fans spin lots faster than a 120mm fan for the same amount of air flow and are louder than a 120mm fan pushing the same amount of air. You can only help matters by cutting a 120mm hole on the top and one on the bottom, raise the case off the table a few inches if you add a bottom fan, the case really needs more flow.

Most modern (newer) cases have at least 3, if not 4 120mm fans on them. If it comes down to a new case, look at the Antec 900 Ver 2 for a solid very popular air cooled case. Many other choices.

Your case just isn't made for your components.

How about the side panel, is there enough room to cut in a 120mm fan high and to the rear as an exhaust?
Not with the True which misses the side panel by a hair. I couldn't fit a 120mm fan on top because of the p/s and bays. The front of the case has an airtight door so I can't use the bays.

FWIW (not too much), it looks like another 80mm could fit below the current 80mm.

Sorry to say that case just doesn't have enough airflow or room to make more judging from your last post. To throw out another suggestion if you do consider a new one, the Coolermaster RC690 has lots of places for 120mm/140mm fans, which can move a lot more air and do it a lot quieter than anything you'll be able to do with this case.

The GPU is hot too I bet.
The GPU stays cool. Probably because it is low in the case and the 2 intake fans blow directly over it. The video card might be a problem. It is probably sucking too much of the cool intake air out the back of the case before it can circulate up.

You can only help matters by cutting a 120mm hole on the top and one on the bottom, raise the case off the table a few inches if you add a bottom fan, the case really needs more flow.
You're right the case is a bad fit for the components, but I like the look. It couldn't hurt to try a bottom hole. The case already has feet that raise it off the ground. The p/s is at the top of the case and has a 120mm fan, but it spins very slowly because it is regulated by the p/s. Maybe, I could replace this fan or hack it to spin faster.

FWIW (not too much), it looks like another 80mm could fit below the current 80mm.

Sorry to say that case just doesn't have enough airflow or room to make more judging from your last post. To throw out another suggestion if you do consider a new one, the Coolermaster RC690 has lots of places for 120mm/140mm fans, which can move a lot more air and do it a lot quieter than anything you'll be able to do with this case.
You're right another 80mm will barely fit below the back fan.
Both the Antec 900 and the RC690 are much better, but I think I can make this case work.

You "could" ghetto mod. Move the PSU to the top of the case (outside), cut a hole to run your wires down through the top, and put an exhaust fan where the psu used to be. I hacked up an old case like this before I got a CM-690.

You "could" ghetto mod. Move the PSU to the top of the case (outside), cut a hole to run your wires down through the top, and put an exhaust fan where the psu used to be. I hacked up an old case like this before I got a CM-690.
I do have a very cool external p/s that I am not using.

Attachments

• nova2.jpg
    nova2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 248
120mm (or larger) fans would be so much quieter for same or greater air movement.

Yeah your airflow with the 80mm fans is just not enough to feed that TRUE. If you do find a way to add more fans and boost your airflow, try and maintain a negative pressure with about a 4 intake : 5 exhaust cfm ratio. That will naturally draw more cool air into your case without adding even more noisy fans.

My case looks similar, but under where you have your exhaust fan I have another 80mm fan. and I have a side case fan.

I replaced the 120mm fan in my p/s with an S-Flex SFF21E. It has much less CFM than the original Corsair, but I rewired it to always run at full power. Before, the fan was controlled by the p/s and always ran very slow. The temps improved to 44°c idle / 62°c load. That's about 7° better, but still about 7° above open case.
I am disappointed with the airflow of the new Scythe fan (rated 49 cfm, 20.1 dba), although it is pretty quiet. The original fan was way too loud at full speed. I think I am on the right track. I think I can get a little more flow out through the p/s with a better fan. The trick is keeping the noise down.

Since I built this since I've had frequent BOD's which Vista blamed on the video card. After much frustration, I realized it was the Corsair 520w p/s. I switched to a 500w external and the BOD's are gone. I thought this would also improve the temperatures, but instead they've gone up about 4°. The external p/s cable plate covers the case's p/s hole. Any heat benefit from moving the p/s out of the case is offset by the loss of a p/s fan.

Attachments

• ExBack.jpg
    ExBack.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 136
^ judging from that last pic, the factory grill on your 80mm exhaust fan is VERY restrictive... might wanna cut that out for a start... likely the same at the intake points as well.

Back