• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the real TJmax ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you! I have been reading over these forums last night and this morning trying to get a "for sure" answer on my tjmax. Intel says my Q9650, the themal spec is 71.4 but that is major bullcrap, cause I have hit 88-89-88-85 when I had it OC'd to 3.825 and it was stable. I am guessing 100 is correct for all 45nm?

Thank you! I have been reading over these forums last night and this morning trying to get a "for sure" answer on my tjmax. Intel says my Q9650, the themal spec is 71.4 but that is major bullcrap, cause I have hit 88-89-88-85 when I had it OC'd to 3.825 and it was stable. I am guessing 100 is correct for all 45nm?

+1

100, but doesn't matter. In full-load keep distance to TJMax >20 and forget about temperatures.
Well, I guess it would matter if your TJMAX was incorrect..

Knowing the correct value is pretty important if you want to keep it >20 below TJMAX:)

Under a 1 hour load of Everest System Stability Test, I never got closer than 31 to my tjMax (everest was default 100). CoreTemp reported highs 69-63-69-69.

This is under the 71.4 spec of Intel and I am overclocked to 3.37 on a Quad. Its nice. Thank you burebista.

idles at 29-31C

EDIT: many reboots, blue screens and all that go with later. This is running on 1.25V stable, lol

Nope. Distance to TJMax is read straight from CPU on-die sensors. Keep that value >20 and you don't need to know what TJMax value it is. :)

read by what?
core temp..real temp....

both of those read mine wrong.....and many others also......
that's why it allows to to adjust it no?

so yeah, ill stick by my statement that its pretty important to know the correct setting......I would NEVER rely on a software program to tell me what it is.
They are often wrong.

Intel has never released TJMax values for it's processors. The values given in that Tom's H. article you linked to are related to Target Junction, and not TJunction Max (TJMax). And in response to crosshairs, you can change the TJMax to whatever value you'd like (100, 95, 90, etc.) using Core Temp or Real Temp, but the Distance to TJMax is going to stay the same. Like Burebista mentioned, just keep the Distance to TJMax >20 (>30C preferred)... and don't worry about the true TJMax value.

And in response to crosshairs, you can change the TJMax to whatever value you'd like (100, 95, 90, etc.) using Core Temp or Real Temp, but the Distance to TJMax is going to stay the same. Like Burebista mentioned, just keep the Distance to TJMax >20 (>30C preferred)... and don't worry about the true TJMax value.
I stand corrected then....I wrongly assumed that the distance to TJMAX would change when the TJMAX setting was changed...I learned something new today...
My humble apologies to all..:)

I stand corrected then....I wrongly assumed that the distance to TJMAX would change when the TJMAX setting was changed...I learned something new today...
My humble apologies to all..:)

The distance itself doesn't change, just the numbers. If you adjust your TjMax, the temp readings will change accordingly so your distance is still the same. Basically, it's creating a zone. You can move that zone around all you want but you haven't changed anything except the numbers.

Axis

Back