• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet AM2/AM2+ cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ou_phidelt

I need a new cooler for my WHS. I know it doesn't make sense but this thing is in the living room due to needed access to the router. I am replacing the current CPU with a 45 5050e. It is not going to be OC'd so top notch cooling performance isn't needed. I want quiet. I am replacing all the fans with low speed yate loon's and want a HSF to match for hopefully a nearly silent system. I would like to keep the cost under $30 if possible and would prefer stock mounting without a back plate. The case is an NZXT Rogue which is a massive pain in the rear to pull apart.

Xigmatek S1283V Dark Knight FTW!!

I don't want the dark knight as I do not want a backplate(wow I never thought I would say that after so many years of giant towers) but am considering its brother the S1283.

I would go with the ninja or ninja mini.

I am looking hard at these mainly because they take well to passive cooling with their wider spaced fins compared to their compitition. I think with the light TDP of the CPU and the air flow of my case that it should be easily attainable. The question is finding one that can fit my odd shaped case. I would take a used mini but I won't pay $40 for one.

I ended up going with this Xigmatek. I got a deal off another forum I couldn't refuse. From the reviews I have seen it should do the job nicely. It's not a top end cooler but for a 55W chip it should get the job done, and it appears to be very quiet.

I ended up going with this Xigmatek. I got a deal off another forum I couldn't refuse. From the reviews I have seen it should do the job nicely. It's not a top end cooler but for a 55W chip it should get the job done, and it appears to be very quiet.

I happen to have a Xigmatek cooler almost exactly identical to that one. The difference between the one I have and that one is strictly in the heatpipes. It appears the one you got has 8 mm pipes and according to the reviews doesn't seem to do that well. The one I have is the hdt-d1264 with the 6 mm pipes. I couldn't find much for reviews on the one I have, so I will be putting it to the test tomorrow. Once I have done the testing, I will be writing up a review and posting it up. I may also try doing a push pull setup with it with a couple of low speed Yates I had picked up in the classies. But the different shape of the fins may require me to build a shroud to mount the second fan.

Back