• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FiOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cderrow

Does anyone have fiber optic internet? What do you think about it? I wish FiOS was available in Erie, PA :-/

FiOS is the ****ing best!

They laid the fiber here in my streets about 4 yrs ago it took em 8 months to get everything in place and i was one of the first to have it.... back then we were paying 53 bucks a month for 5mbit / 512kbit cable net.... was able to switch to fios for 48 bucks a months for 15/2mbit.... I always get the rated speeds, and have retardedly LOW ping times.

Im on an "OLD" package in my area, they currently have 10/2 20/5 20/20 and 50/20... ima see about upgrading to the 20/5.

The cool thing about Fios is its based on new technology, not old coax cable networks or copper phone lines... and thus there is TONS of bandwidth available... each fiber line to your house can support digital HDTV to tons of tvs, 4 phone lines, and 50/20mbit internet... and not even come close to touching the bandwidth its capable of.

At my house we actually used the old copper phone lines to pull the fiber in from the street to the garage (use all cell phones). Just make sure you dont get a lazy technician and request that they run an ethernet cable to your router that you already have rather than them use the inhouse coax line to their special modem.... the difference between going from just fiber > ONT (optical network terminal)>ethernt cable > router vs. fiber > ont > coax tv cable > cable stylemodem > router adds abotu 20-30ms ping onto everything...

i'm extremely jealous now... if my city ever gets it im gonna get the 20/5 speeds :). How low are the pings in online games?

i'm extremely jealous now... if my city ever gets it im gonna get the 20/5 speeds :). How low are the pings in online games?

depends on the server, but they are significantly lower than cable by far.

I play bf2 in a server and get 10-15ms pings and its like 150miles away.

Yeah we dont have it here in Ridley Park Pa (right below Philadelphia)either.We went with verizon HD TV package with the intent of going FIOS in the next year because verizon said it would be in our area in a year or so .But we found out thats not true so we cancled.Now im back with Comcast which isnt great but it beats DSL and Verizons HD TV package

i must say i am lucky... im very glad to be off the cable net thats fo sho. LOL we actually have 2 fios lines comming into the house... one for the main house the part out family lives in and another for the people that rent out the guest house haha.

Some speedtest benchies. (while running my cs strike 1.6 server with ~ 8 ppl in it using 300kbit each way) Note distances

470783205.png

470784180.png

470784544.png

LOL @ this one
470785293.png

My comcast cable.Not bad id say
470793214.png

470794187.png

This one is while i was downloading 3Dmark03 off guru3d.com .Not great but not bad for a 10MBPS cable line.I guess turbo boost really works.But its not not FIOS:mad:

470794607.png

Last edited:
wow, still 600+ kb/s halfway around the world.
i am actually thinking of moving into an area where fios is available, at least it's heavy in my consideration for a new place search.
love it

THE GOOD

Have it.

Love it.

Technically performance has been stellar. Far superior to cable I had prior with Media One/Roadrunner/AT&T/Comcast. The only issue I had was some botnet tried to DOS attack my old D-Link-604 router. (4 year old firmware). No issues at all with Verizon's end. (Connection/performance). They even sent me a brand new wireless router the next day no charge. Plus I just got a bundle deal that will save me almost 10-15 bucks a month on Internet and HDTV. Big plus. Phone service has always been helpful.

- Current FLEX plan -
FiOS TV Extreme HD $41.99
FiOS Internet 20/5 $38.00

(before Taxes and cable box rentals)

CLOSE:
470809205.png

FAR:
470817061.png

THE BAD

Billing.

OMG... if there is any complaint about Verizon it is this: the billing system. They have a very old Cell-Phone based system that is a nightmare. If you EVER get their services, get whatever you want from them at once. God help you if you change any of their services in the middle of already having one, because I promise you... it may be a year til it's fixed, and you'll be calling them every month and explain to every new phone rep your story til you are blue in the face to get them to fix it, which they can't, so you'll be playing phone tag forever. 11 months, 2 weeks it took for them to get a bill right. I kid you not. Not the operator's (CSR's) fault, so I was never upset with them; they tried their best. They are just stuck with an inferior computer billing system they could not fix. Hopefully it will be changed soon. But I keep fastidious billing records on them, which do help me out a lot.

- Blackstar

Last edited:
Back