• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FreeNAS install problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonblingbling

I've been having troubles installing FreeNAS on an emachines t6410 machine. I can start and get to the "boot selection" screen, but I never get to the "console setup" screen on this computer. I am using the "LiveCD 0.69.1 AMD64" image on a Live CD. I also tried the "Embedded 0.69.1 i386" and "Embedded 0.69.1 AMD64" off a USB drive using m0n0wall. I have installed FreeNAS on my Sony SZ650 laptop, so I can do something right...

Here is a video of what happens with the emachine:

Well, it wasn't the serial port...
...it was the wireless USB keyboard I was using. :bang head

Solution: let it boot without the keyboard, then plug it in.

Nice. I think you'll be happy with FreeNAS.

Once you get your share set up, you can do the following to map it everytime you log on to your Windows User:

Make a new .txt document on your desktop;

Rename it to something like: mapdrive.vbs

Edit it and insert the following:
Code:
Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "J:", \\192.168.1.101\share, , "joebloe", "12345"

Where "J:" is the letter you want the drive to use, \\192.168.1.101\share is the IP and path to the shared folder, "joebloe" is the username for the share and "12345" is the password for the share.

Then save the .vbs and move it into the startup folder. Run it to see if your info is correct. Fix if needed.

Bang! Ready-to-go mapped drive in your Computer folder, as if it was an HDD installed in your PC. :beer:

The mapped drive in my computer would be great, however I'm running into other problems of my own I'm trying to figure out. I set up the CIFS and can see the folder in 'my network connections', but I cant give the correct credentials to actually see inside the folder.

I think it has to do with my network situation; my computers are both wired to the wall of my dorm, therefore connected to the dorm network and who knows how things work back there. Which would explain why it put my NAS under 'The Internet' instead of on my network... I'll play with it more when I can get on a private network. :|

Probably not. I tried several different options, but none liked me. I'll just have to try again when I have time (and can steal my roommates ethernet :D)

....I'll play with it more when I can get on a private network. :|

Good idea. Seperate your pc and server from the rest of the network with a router. Give them static IP addresses which are on a different network from those given by the dhcp server on the network in your dorm.

Back