• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will adding a second Radiator be worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Here is the deal. I am not getting my temps down as much as I would like. I know the system is functioning properly because I can feel the massive amouts of heat coming from the radiator. I probably couldn't blow any more air through it and the thing gets HOT. The entry and exit parts on the RAD are very warm to the touch, but the fins are cool. Bottom line is that it is working, I just think it is at its limit as to how much thermal energy it can get rid of..I believe it is a swiftwech dual 120 radiator. I know it would be a good idea to measure the water temps, before and after the rad but I am soliciting opinions on the benefits of adding another radiator to the loop...i am pretty sure my 655 pump can handle two rads. Would there be any noticable benefits from adding say another twin 120 heatercore or rad? If so has anybody done this and what was the results?

is it only the cpu in the loop? If so, you might be better off with a single triple.

Yup, just the CPU. I was hoping to avoid replacing, I do have an extra rad I thought I would add in the loop. I also see that I posted in the general cooling forum, sry Mod please maybe move me to the watercooling forum:beer:

i would grab another single 120mm or double 120mm.

yes that pump will laugh at you when you add another rad.

is this for you i7? i would get a double 120 + your current 120mm since you want to overclock so much.

i would grab another single 120mm or double 120mm.

yes that pump will laugh at you when you add another rad.

is this for you i7? i would get a double 120 + your current 120mm since you want to overclock so much.

Yea the chip can go so much futher but the temp cant...THe rad I have now is a dual 120, so another would make it 4x120 which if it isn't enough I give up!:)

BTW, like your avatar :attn:

Yea the chip can go so much futher but the temp cant...THe rad I have now is a dual 120, so another would make it 4x120 which if it isn't enough I give up!:)

BTW, like your avatar :attn:

Lots of people are finding out just how hot these new I7's can get. The recommendation is typically to run a 320 rad for a CPU only loop. Adding a second 240 would be just fine. You could also use lower speed fans to make it not so loud as well.

Axis

It also matters what CPU block you have. The Swiftech GT is an older block. I agree on a newer/bigger/more rad for sure. Your block is one of the problems also.

So try the rad first, a newer block would help too. Martins review on that block does state it's okay, but not up to the newer blocks. And you need the best you can get with a big OC.

Odd that I blew the dust that was hiding out under the rad and dropped 5 deg C off the temps:p

Added two more 110cfm fans and dropped another 5 deg c...

Now, i wonder how much more i would get by either

a)switching to a triple rad
b)adding a second dual rad

Back