• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I built my first system and it seems to run awful hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pat is Mad

Registered
I was thinking of getting itno overclocking with it but the temps seem high to me
The Mobo is ASUS P5KPL-CM
Q 8200 CPU (Stock Fan)
4 GB Centon ram
Xion case with 120mm fans front and back with an 80mm on the side.
As of right now the readouts from Aus Probe reads
Vcore-1.22
+3.3-3.34
+5-5.09
+12-12.09
Cpu Temp 51 C
MB Temp 33 C
CPU Fan 1214
It is my understanding that My cpu can only handle around 70 C and These readouts are as I sit here typing with nothing else running except Musicmatch.
Will going to a fan other than stock help me drop my temps?I used OCZ Freeze thermal paste.
This is the second board I have put in the pc as the XFX boards I was using didn't seem to like my ram.But the XFX boards ran the cpu at about 32 C according to bios readouts.
I am not a total noob at computers(I was ****ed when I first saw windows 95) but this seems to baffle me.
Any help would be great as I would like to open up the cpu speed but this is my main business comp and I can't afford for it to go down.

Check the pins to make sure they're fully seated. Those stock HSFs can be a bear to get properly seated. Did you add the OCZ Freeze in addition to the goop already on there? If so, that's waaay too much TIM (thermal interface material) and would be acting as an insulator. If not, and if the pins are seated properly, how did you apply the Freeze?

First question. What are you measureing temps with? Since you posted just one temp and not each core temp seperately your probably using the mobo bios screen. It's unreliable.

Get Realtemp, run it and let us know the results. Once we have idle temps we'll ask you to run Prime95 for a load test.

I put the oc freeze on the Cpu when I installed it into the second XFX board I got.
As for my real temp readings it says
I got all of my above measurments using Asus PC Probe II.The Biose states that I am running even higher

Yea your idle temps are really high.

Did you remove the Mobo to install the HS? or install the HS after the mobo was in? Many times I see the pins aren't in solid.
How much TPaste did you use? Another standard question. Another.. did you clean the old paste off? Umm. Lemme think. That pretty much covers it.

I didn't clean the old off of the top of the cpu.Figured a bunch was good.Like I said first build from scratch.I don't have the paste anymore and there isn't a computer store for three hours from here.Would a paste from Radio Shack work?I installed the heatsink and all out of the case.
When I put my first board in I didn't get all the pins in right and I knew it when I heard the fan rubbing the fins on the HS.

I downloaded that Prime95 and ran it and it shot my temp up to over 72 almost instanly.I am guessing that would be bad

OK, take this or this clean your IHS and heatsink base with isopropyl alcohol apply a thin layer of thermal compound on IHS and reseat your stock cooler.

Radio shack has Arctic Silver 5. The package says radioshack on it though. I just got some two days ago and was surprised as hell.

Here is a little check list that maybe help you out a little. If i miss something please do add to the list.

1. Remove the Heatsink and Fan (HSF)
  2. Clean out the Old thermal paste with clear uncented rubbing alcohol from the CPU and HSF
  3. Remove the motherboard out of the case
  4. remove the CPU out of the socket
  5. CAREFULLY install the CPU back on the board, making sure it is sat properly
  6. Apply new thermal paste on it*
  7. Install the HSF on it, check and see it is installed properly.
  8. Install the Motherboard back into the case
  9. Check the air direction inside the case make sure it is proper

*Apply the thermal paste according to the instructions.

Few things i would recommend. Get yourself a Third Party cooler. Search the forums, you will find many really good Third party HSF being(have been) discussed. Addition to that, getting better thermal paste is also will work in your favor. I personally like Arctic Silver 5 and MX-2. Also the air direction inside case is just as crucial. Bad air flow in the case also leads to high temps. Remember, hot air raises and cool air does the opposite. Fresh air going the case will be the cool air, you need to direct that air and utilize it cool the computer.

Have your air go in from lower side of the case and from the front, have it come out through the backside fan, and PSU and top fan if you have one.

If I've insulted your knowledge in anyway, I am going to apologize in advance. That is my intention.

I figured that a screen shot would help in this instance.It is odd but I OC'ed it up to 2.8 and didn't get much rise in temp.I figured I would.

Screen.jpg

So do you guys think it will be safe and viable in the long run to leave the machine like this?

Thats not under load is it? Your core speed is 2.4 you have powersaving settings enabled in your bios.

You NEED to try it with a load and repost pics. Try Prime 95 and come back to us with new sceen shots. Drop the Mobo proggy, it's worthless. The green looking one.

CPU Z and realtemp after 15 min of load test will be fine.

I figured that a screen shot would help in this instance.It is odd but I OC'ed it up to 2.8 and didn't get much rise in temp.I figured I would.

So do you guys think it will be safe and viable in the long run to leave the machine like this?

You got a rise in temps, 3rd screen, "CPU cool down test" 20c-27c distance to TJ Max. IMO, hot. (on my rigs I like a little more buffer, 30c+ to TJ Max.) Personally, I'd follow what BioTuned posted above, get the temps more "favorable" then push it.

The other post was the results from the test with real temp.I just took this with the cpu under load using real temp and prime95

underload.jpg

Yea your hot for sure. Is that with the case side on? Or with it off and a house fan blowing in the case to replace standard case airflow? Even with the side off you still need case flow, simlutaing it with a cheapo house fan seems to work.

Umm you did the redo of the TPaste on the CPU after cleaning the old stuff off? How much TPaste did you use? More than a small pea spot in the middle of the CPU is too much. Some do well with the amount of a grain of rice.

It might come down to you have a hotter chip. But I think once we finish the TPaste issue it's all down to the cheapo Intel cooler. Replace it.

If you do get a 3rd party cooler they usually come with TIM of their own. Not as good as the big name TIMs but decent enough to get you rolling.

Most important thing is to get the old TIM off of the cpu AND the heatsink before applying. With an intel quad core 2 small lines from front to back are all that is needed. Put heatsink on cpu apply a litle pressure and sping the heatinsk about 20-30 degrees in either direction. Then bolt it down.

Your temps are WAY too high for a 45nm quadcore with so little L2 cache. Idle temps should be in the low 30s with a good cooler. Low 40s with stock cooler. Load temps in the 40's with good cooler and high 50's to low 60s with stock cooler.

Back