• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GT caught on fire (no joke)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acid135690

Registered
Well I'm stumped. I've recently began assembling my wife's computer and I've come across multiple problems.

1. Computer wouldn't post
2. Removed video card - Now posts, (not sure if it was a video card or lack of power from faulty PSU.)
3. Replaced PSU - no more funny sounds
4. Replaced video card w/ new PSU to rule out power issues - Video card begins shooting flames.

There's a multitude of factors that could cause this I know... I'll try to get a pic uploaded when I get home from work.

The are of the card in question is about 2 inches below the 6pin power connector under a black heatsink that sits verticle directly under the power connection. I noticed within 2 seconds of turning the power on, a small area glowing red, then a second or two later, flames started shooting outward.

Realizing this card was shot, I removed the heatsinks rubber pins and pulled it off. There was quite a bit of "gunk" built up on the circuit. I'm was hopeing that's all it was. I removed the buildup of dirt/dust the best I could and replaced the card. Same result.

I'm working on getting a cheap AGP card - MX440 or something to run diagnostics and determine if it is a PSU issue or just the old card on it's last leg.

I don't recall the brand of the PSU, but I know it's a 730W Modular. priced at $95 or so. +12V rail is 24a and it's SLI/Cross Fire certified.

ANY help is appreciated.

I don't recall the brand of the PSU, but I know it's a 730W Modular. priced at $95 or so. +12V rail is 24a and it's SLI/Cross Fire certified.

Which one, exactly? If it really does only have one 12V rail and it's only rated at 24A, it's a pile of junk. 288W is a loooooooong way from 730W. Also, the brand and model of the old one would be helpful.

Definitely post pictures. I've seen a videocard also shoot flames, too, and it was also gunked up with dust, but also the PSU also spit out smoke, too.

Back