• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't get my heatsink on to save my life :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

I can not get this heatsink on to save my life. I've been trying for the past 2 hours now to get it on and it's not budging. I'm sure it's the right socket (775), but why the **** won't it go on :(

This is the heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185074

I can get 1 hole aligned and in, but the other 3 will not go in. I don't really wanna put that much force on it as I'm afraid I'll end up breaking the motherboard. Help please :(

Those push pin brackets can be tough.

Indeed. You'll have to try using the criss-cross method. Push 2 pins down at the same time in opposite corners.

If the mobo is out of the case, use some books to lift the board from the table. Just leave enough space at the bottom of the board from the books to be able to push the pins thru the holes, but the books close enough to give support when you push down and not break the board. ( hope this makes sense).

Here we go again....

Jk jolly, just funnin ya.

I find a flat tip screw driver helps. But keep a steady hand lest ya puncture the board.

If you can't and it is a new build then do as jolly says.

I got the neighbor to help with it. He did the exact same thing I did but with more force lols. I was just scared of breaking it. And it doesn't fit in my case LOL. Thank god I run caseless lols.

Why is it my cpu temps are never above 65C? That was the temps for the stock intel cooler :(

This is 100% during LinX run at 430FSB @ 3.8ghz

Well we don't know what your running at 3.8. A q6600 would prolly get to 65 at 3.8. :)

Swap back to original cooler and run prime small ffts, then back to new cooler. :D

Swap back to original cooler and run prime small ffts, then back to new cooler. :D

Do you want the guy to have a meltdown ?... lol

I know what it's like when you have a hard time getting a HSF on. My BP went up 100% and started swearing badly (never usually do) when I did mine.

Would recommend not using a screwdriver (or anything sharpish) to push down.. you slip, write the MB off and/or put a big gash in your hand. Then I can picture a MB (with HSF hanging off) being thrown across the room with blood being sprayed across the walls...

We could probably make a video game out of that.

But on a serious note, not sure if 64 would be considered hot for your E8400. But I should think not, considering Scythe really isn't a crappy cooler like the one I just took off. But still, at 3.6 my Quad doesn't get that hot anymore. So yeah, as much as I hate to say it, you may have to remove your fan, recheck your TM, clean, reapply and reinstall. I would say at that clock you should be at least under 60.

What are you measuring temps with? Try Realtemp instead. Bios temp measurements are always whacked. You can check individual core temps to see if it's on straight. Up to 6-8 diff between cores under load is normal. Try Prime95 to check load temps.

Back