• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best way to desolder parts off a GTX280

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Need some hlep guys.

With great skill I knocked two very little resistors off of my GTX280 :bang head
Even better than that, one of them broke in half as well.

The good news.

The PCB looks good, most if not all the pad is still there to solder to.
I've also got my hands on another dead evga 280.

What I want to do is try and fix my card, by taking the parts off the really dead one (core is toast) and resolder them onto mine.

But desoldering parts is something I've never done before.
What's the best (easy) way about doing this, and what's a good tool for the job ?

I'm at work now, I'll post up a picture of what I did later :beer:

With parts this small I would forgo the standard de-soldering techniques. I would (and have done successfully on one broken card) simply heat the part enough to remove the it - don't worry about solder wicking or sucking because there isn't enough solder there to care about. All you want to do is remove the SMD safely. Once it's off (don't sneeze) a quick touch with sandpaper on the backside of the SMD, then clean the area/pads thoroughly, micro-flux and then touch solder it on. Working on a white background helps in case you happen to drop it. The hardest part is handling stuff this size, something to steady your hand helps as well as laying off the caffiene.

With parts this small I would forgo the standard de-soldering techniques. I would (and have done successfully on one broken card) simply heat the part enough to remove the it - don't worry about solder wicking or sucking because there isn't enough solder there to care about. All you want to do is remove the SMD safely. Once it's off (don't sneeze) a quick touch with sandpaper on the backside of the SMD, then clean the area/pads thoroughly, micro-flux and then touch solder it on. Working on a white background helps in case you happen to drop it. The hardest part is handling stuff this size, something to steady your hand helps as well as laying off the caffiene.

Mark is the master...taught me everything I know :beer:

Back