• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHat Cooler To Get??!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MilkManMike

Registered
I have a Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz which i what to overclock past 3 ghz and i was wondering what cpu cooler to get thats under or at 40 bucks ...right now I have it between the...

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283

and the OCZ Technology Vendetta

Which should I get? Or any suggestions?

I had a stock cooler on my E5200 @3.5GHz and temps ran under 65 on full load.

I would say any of those will do just fine, go with the cheapest. I just got the Xigmatek for 36.99 with 5 dollar rebate from the egg. But sunbeam is even cheaper.

Personally I wouldn't bother unless your gonna go Quad in the future or plan on 3.6+

Thirding the "cheapest" option. Your 3GHz goal is extremely low and should be easily doable even with the stock heatsink. You might even be able to undervolt the system to reduce power too.

EDIT: Actually, don't even bother spending the $40. Use it to upgrade your graphics card or something. 3GHz is nothing for the stock heatsink. I built a shuttle for a friend with an overclocked 3.5GHz Wolfdale on stock heatsink.

Thanks for helping me decide as well guys! I will be using a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P mobo,of the 3 types MilkManMike suggested, anyone know if they had problems with this board and the heatsinks? Spacing? etc? Thanks again guys!

Thanks for helping me decide as well guys! I will be using a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P mobo,of the 3 types MilkManMike suggested, anyone know if they had problems with this board and the heatsinks? Spacing? etc? Thanks again guys!

I wouldn't worry about it. I have the EP45-UD3R and a Noctua NH-U12P heatsink and I have no problems at all. The bolt-through mounting kits fit right over 1 set of capacitors on the board (would be the same for any bolt-through kit regardless of which heatsink you get as they are all similar). Other than that you have a ton of real estate on these boards.

Thank you all again! This will help greatly in deciding which of the 3 heatsinks i will use. It appears as they all do the job well, and its just a matter of aesthetics at this point. :beer:

Back