• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Server Overhaul

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightStash

Well I found this old server that someone brought into my work to get recycled and just didn't have the heart to let it get destroyed. It was huge. This is next to a cosmos 1000 which is not a small case.

DSC02352.JPG

We have a gentoo server set up now in an Antec 900 but needed more room for hard drive expansion. It's basically our file server and used to run zone monitor for our network security cams.

Here she is before we started.

DSC02353.JPG

All stripped down!

DSC02354.JPG

So I decided that we would get this beast powder coated gloss red. It turned out amazing! I could not have pictured it any better.

SDC10490.JPG

Mounting the mother board.

SDC10496.JPG

Power Supply in.

SDC10501.JPG

Front back installed.

SDC10509.JPG

Back view.

SDC10505.JPG

Rear.

SDC10516.JPG

Tux!

SDC10521.JPG

So I received the piece of clear acrylic I ordered for the side window. We will be installing that later this week. I will post some more pictures when it's completed.

Should have cut out the ATX style IO ports before you painted it, but it looks sweet :thup:

Yeah the reason we didn't cut the ports is because we do not really need it, it has a small video card. 8600 gt. We really only use the Ethernet. Most things are done remotely. I don't remember the mother board, the reason we got that board though it because of the 5 pci slots. It has a core 2 E7400 @ like 2.8 i think. And 4 gigs of gskill 1333. It run's gentoo great.

nice case and good work.

Im trying to figure out what I want to build right now, I have multiple assorted cases sitting around me and cant decide which to work on or which to "dispose" of.

Only suggestion I have is that you should have cut a few 120mm holes in the top rear vs the single fan hole in place now. Then again, whooshing soothes me except when I am trying to listen to whispering in movies.

Yeah couple of fans in the top is also in the works, but we can't decide if we are going water cooling. The case is almost perfect for the cooling and so we might mount a double radiator in the top instead.

But thanks for all the complements!

Very nicely done, I actually have one of those cases as well. My company used to sell those as brown box servers (until we fired the guy who made them cause he was unreliable) But as a tribute to their size we always called them the 'mini-me servers'

And is that an Ultra 120 that keeps trying to steal the spotlight in most of those pics? lol

Back