• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock FAN used to 3000rpm now only 2000rpm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rocky1990

The stock fan for my Q6700 used to run 3000rpm at full load, allowing for OC of at least 3200mhz now it's stuck at 2048rpm. No matter if I turn smartfan on or off, in any way 100% seems to be 2000rpm.
Of course i returned to no OC or default and back again. No difference.

The only thing i have changed from "before" to "now" I believe is going from 2gb of ram to 4gb and just recently a new HDD. For the new RAM I had to increase it's voltage or BSOD.

The stock fan used to be nice but OC at 2000 rpm is a no-no. I guess the same situation would be if i used another cooler, i think it's pretty logical that it can't be a problem of the cooler itself so don't even recommend me a new one :p

thx in advance

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken you will not be able to find a replacement fan for a stock Intel cooler. Not to mention the stock cooler was not designed to be run in an over clocked system, therefore it is not going to be able to keep up with the heat output. Especially with summer coming up. Your best and safest bet would be to find an aftermarket heatsink with your choice of fan. That way, you will be able to keep up with the heat output of your CPU, and if your fan starts acting funny, it will be easily replaced. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but it is pretty much the same advice you would get from anyone else here. A good aftermarket heatsink can be had for less than $30 these days.

Back