Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

BIOS reporting new CPU every time and only reports 767MB RAM to OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 12:25 PM Thread Starter   #1
SpaceyWilly

BIOS reporting new CPU every time and only reports 767MB RAM to OS

I'm having a really odd problem, and I think it's motherboard related. Yesterday, I decided to swap a core 2 duo into my HTPC machine to try to get the virtual windows XP thing working. It kept coming up with "New CPU detected... press f1 to enter bios or f2 to load default settings and continue." I went into the BIOS and made sure the settings were correct and did a save and exit, then it came up with the message again. I thought it might be that the BIOS wasn't compatible with the core 2 duo I was using, so I updated it but that didn't help. Now I put the core 2 quad that was working fine before back in and it still is giving me the error every time.

Now this really isn't a big deal since I hardly ever reboot my HTPC machine, but there's another problem. I have 4GB of memory installed, and it shows up fine as 4GB in the BIOS, but when I boot into Windows it is only showing 767MB. In the Windows 7 resource monitor, the other 3.3GB are shown as "Hardware Reserved - Memory that is reserved by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals." Now the computer is running really slowly and paging to the hard drive constantly. I never had this problem before I tried to do the CPU swap. What's happening here?

Here's what I'm running
Asus P5N7A-VM
Core 2 Quad Q8200 or Core 2 Duo E6600
Crucial 2x2GB RAM

BTW, the clock and BIOS settings are being stored fine so it doesn't seem to be a CMOS battery issue.

Athlon XP Barton 2500+ ------------Asus A7V8X
1024mb HyperX PC2700 RAM------Chieftec BLUE Dragon Series Case
5 BLUE Neon LED Fans--------------Leadtek 6800le unlocked to 12x1, 6vp
AverTV TV Tuner--------------------Logitech Z5300s
17" Dell 1704FPT--------------------Microsoft BLUE Optical Mouse
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Gateway FPD2185W 21" Widescreen monitor
Laptop: Dell 600m, Pentium M 1.60ghz, 512mb ddr, Radeon Mobility 9000, DVD/CD-RW Combo

Last edited by SpaceyWilly; 05-16-09 at 12:30 PM.
SpaceyWilly is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 05-16-09, 01:05 PM   #2
w2richwood

sounds like you may need to update your bios to a later bios
Rich

video ati 4890 1gig
ps corsair 750tx
cooler venomous x push pull
hd.s 2xwd raptors in raido
case cm. storm sniper

My Heatware
w2richwood is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-16-09, 01:16 PM   #3
jmdixon85

Since you said you have updated your BIOS (latest version being 0512) you should not have a problem with either CPU. I would check all BIOS settings carefully and if everything seems to be ok I would then inspect the Mobo carefully. Since you changed the CPU I would remove it and check for any bent pins, I would also re-seat your RAM and try that.

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/8GB DDR3 1333Mhz/4GB DDR2 1066Mhz/2GB DDR2
Video: 2x nVidia GTX470 sli/Radeon 3000/NVidia GTX460/iGPU
HDD: 128GB SSD (System)/WD VR 300GB(Games)/ 80GB HDD (TV Recordings)/WD VRaptor 160GB (Sytem), Maxtor 80GB (Sys Backup), 5x 1TB (RAID5 Data)/3TB (Backup) HighpointRR 3520 RAID Card/VR 160GB (system) 1TB (Data)/160GB
PSU: Corsair TX-M 750W/Enermax 495W/FSP 800W/FSP 300W
Case: Coolermaster HAF932/CM Cosmos S/Cosmos 1000
Audio: Toslink -> Pioneer VSX-820-K (Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio)/Logitech X-530
i7/i5/i3 Overclocking Guide/Intel Core2 overclocking guide/AMD AM2 overclocking Guide
jmdixon85 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards