• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upping my ppd.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

I've had my i7 folding now for more than a month. Still not getting more than about 7,000 points per day.

I've got 5 on my cpu running at 3.3ghz, and 1 on a 9800gt superclocked evga graphics card.

I HATE running this thing in windows, but find the high maintenance of running a virtual machine in Linux to be unappealing. Especially considering that my wife uses this computer on a daily basis and it would be one more thing she could screw up.

Suggestions?

what are you getting with your i7?

Hi, welcome to the team.

Are you running the SMP client or the classic client? The former will generate more PPD with one instance than the latter with 5.

I'm not sure of exact numbers but I would expect that rig to do a little better, if you had the SMP client.

SMP instructions are here in post 5: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=602978 (use the MPICH client not the Deino one).

If "maintenance" is the only deterrent allow me to dissuade you...
I run VMWare Server and two VMs for folding. Each VM is using notfred's VM appliance, so there was minimal setup. (Previously I used two Debian VMs... lots more setup.)

Once running I simply close the browser session that was managing VMWare and I don't even see the VMs. No maintenance. The VMs boot when my machine does and they begin folding immediately.

My wife has used this machine and so has my brother. Neither of them even know there are other programs moving in the background. ;)

Just a thought.

Allow me to add my experience.

I run an i7 920 at 3.5 with a GTX 260.

When I ran (2) SMP's I got about 5-6k off those combined plus 5-7k off the GTX

10-13k daily

Now I run 4 VM's with no affinity and the GTX and get 15-19k Daily.

about 2500-2800 per VM and 5k-7k for the gtx depending on the WU.

Back