• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My ultra chiltec keeps q6600 at 67c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vivek

I have overclocked my q6600 to 3ghz(333x9) on a maximus formula X38 board with the voltage set to 1.344. (It has a high vid of 1.325). My ultra chiltec is only keeping it at 65-67c. It doesn't work like its supposed to...any ideas why?

The ultra chilltec is old technology and pretty sure it is not capable of handling the heat of a Q6600.

But always good to check the seating and TIM application as mentioned. Make sure all cables are connected too so that you are running the TEC as needed.

65C is load temps?

Weird...

The heatsink is applied correctly and I put a small dab of artic silver 5 on the processor and then seated the heatsink so I think the TIM is applied correctly. Anyways, I came back to the computer after running prime for an hour, and the temps went from 67c to 60c. I then overclocked even furhter to 3.2 (400x8), raised voltage and my prime temps are now 68c.

Last edited:
Take the side of your case off and see if temps go down. If so you need a better cooling option or better case fans for flow.

The heatsink is applied correctly and I put a small dab of artic silver 5 on the processor and then seated the heatsink so I think the TIM is applied correctly. Anyways, I came back to the computer after running prime for an hour, and the temps went from 67c to 60c. I then overclocked even furhter to 3.2 (400x8), raised voltage and my prime temps are now 68c.

Q6XXX cpus TIM is properly applied in two stripes on the CPU.

The fact that temps went from 67-60C makes me think, TEC kicked in? Check your control box and see if you can set it to turn on at 50C or so.

Wierd.

The PDF from AS5 is where I got the information from. :screwy: When the "proper solution for quads" first came up way back when.

Either they changed it... or I am confusing it with another of their products :s

I have overclocked my q6600 to 3ghz(333x9) on a maximus formula X38 board with the voltage set to 1.344. (It has a high vid of 1.325). My ultra chiltec is only keeping it at 65-67c. It doesn't work like its supposed to...any ideas why?

The Chilltec can be a challenge to get performing properly. The key with it is getting the air moving out of the case as quickly as possible as well as proper mounting to ensure proper air flow. Also, you should experiment with the mounting position as well because one position may be 10 degrees different vs another position. It's not an easy cooler to get along with but once things are tweaked, it can perform quite nicely.

Beware though that the Chilltec is not without it's flaws. For one, the plastic used on the 12v TEC input is cheap and can melt causing the TEC to fail without the module even knowing. The module will go on sending 12 volts thinking the TEC is active. In some cases, the only way to tell is to take the module apart and inspect the TEC power pins. Temperatures will obviously be high so it's definitely something to be inspected. This usually occurs on systems where the TEC is active 100% of the time because the stock 50watt pelt isn't enough.... This happened on my system and I ended up rewiring the entire thing with heavy duty gauge wire and some solder. I also upgraded the pelt.

Good luck with yours... Hopefully the TEC pins didn't melt on you... They need to totally redesign this thing because honestly it has a lot of potential if they changed a few things...

I use liquid nano-unobtanium and spread it in a thin layer with my ozmium credit card.

No mention of not eating it... odd.

Zmonk is pretty on target with his input. It's what I have read from other forums. He as others have done were able to repair and UG thiers. Glad we have a guy who knows about it, there isn't a lot of users compared to high end air.

i didnt apply the paste in the way mentioned..,but think its what zmonk said thats causing the problem. It used to cool much better...

I've an ultra chilltec sitting about 15 feet away doing nothing from about a year and a half ago, I've thought of putting it on my wife's computer.

Thing worries me I go through the trouble and tear her's all apart the thing would probably die on me hehe. I used it awhile on my Q6600 G0 and could never hit 3.6, only could get 3.4 out of it until I put a Sunbeam on it then it ran 3.6 non-stop no problem.

:beer:

They really are not very good to be blunt about it compared to a non-TEC cooler for 1/4 the cash.

Been there, tried that I guess :)

As far as any potential these days, for what you can get one of those buggers for now you can probably pick up a Coolmaster V-10 for the same price and it will perform much better for a TEC cooler I imagine without the hassle's, the Ultra's are old.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103056

Last edited:
my q6600 @ 400x8 @ 1.35 only runs 65 celcius max (prime95)
on an air cooler (deepcool killer whale).
maybe your TEC isnt getting cooled right or maybe it's just an old school cooler that can't
handle quads too well...

Back