Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

-+=OC Forums Musicians Club v2=+-

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 12-10-09, 06:11 PM   #81
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Well I ended up not getting any homework done last weekend even though I didn't play my 360 or make music.

Tomorrow is basically the last day to turn in stuff anyway. If I don't get any work done this weekend I'll definitely be able to work on it next weekend, since school will be over then.

EDIT: a quick note without bumping the thread, after 3 weeks or so I've found out that I should probably add some crashes to that one song. Seems to be the only thing missing from it. Should get that done this weekend, dosen't take that long.

Member of the MOAR VOLTS™ club.

Last edited by KonaKona; 12-11-09 at 06:14 AM.
KonaKona is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-10-09, 06:43 PM   #82
Mooyo

I recently picked up Steve Vai's DVD "Where the Wild Things Are" and I'm quite pleased by it. If anyone hasn't seen it I'd go check out some of the excerpts on Youtube or something.

In particular, Freak Show Excess is *amazing!*

Several PC's, ranging from my original 3800x2 to my current Q6700. I'll update this eventually.
Mooyo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-13-09, 10:04 AM   #83
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Uh, I should probably get to work on those songs.

Reserving this post for link edits, if no one else posts before I get some work done.

EDIT: eeee maji? Eze modo desu ka?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pb43rg

EDIT 2: Well thanks to my motherboard being on it's period yesterday, the rest of my day is either going to be getting 42gb of data back or homework.

Last edited by KonaKona; 12-13-09 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 03:01 PM Thread Starter   #84
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

I pulled a tendon (or something, muscle?) in my thumb today on my (left) guitar playing hand. I'm probably sidelined for a while. Thankfully it doesn't hurt much, only when I put a lot of pressure on it, like if I was playing a bar chord on the guitar.
Pinky is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-09, 03:19 PM   #85
disk11

I'm going to scout out my current dream amp Thursday! It's the rackmount Randall MTS preamp, the RM4. I hope its as good as I've heard and read

Main/Gaming: i7 920, Noctua U12P-SE, Asrock x58 Extreme, 6GB pc16000 Gskill Pi, Powercolor 7870, 256GB Crucial M500, 160GB Intel 320, Lite-On DVD burner, 600W OCZ modX
File server: AMD e-350, Asus E35M1-M Pro, 4GB Crucial, OCZ Vertex 3 (OS), 3x Toshiba 1TB RAID 5, 2x 2TB WD Green in RAID 1, Antec 900, Corsair 520HX
disk11 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-17-09, 10:22 AM   #86
DarkWhite

I'll take #33
Most of my musical abilities go towards playing the pan (steel drums) and I'm currently one of my groups top 6-bass-players. I'm trying to pick up the other pans as much as possible, and I know my my way around a 4-bass. I also do some basic arrangements for my group, free of charge.
Outside of pan, I'm a decent tuba player, over the next semester I'm gonna work on trumpet, and then hopefully try the saxophone over the summer.
I picked up the drums from playing rock band, and, despite not owning a kit, I'm pretty good, though not hugely courageous with fills etc.
I'd like to learn the violin as well, but it's very expnsive and between school band, pan band, hockey, umpiring, and work, I don't have much time anymore.

OC Z Gold DDR3 1600 RAM
Razer AC-1 Gaming Audio
M-Audio Delta1010LT Audio
WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD
Xoxide's X-Clear Acrylic Case

Gamertag: Steel Drum Hero
OCF Music #33
And folding, of course
DarkWhite is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-17-09, 10:38 AM   #87
creecher

i played the tuba in the school band!
but i quit going into junior year of HS.
now i dun has no tuba.

i7 920 @ 4.3 GHZ 24/7
ASUS P6X58D Premium | GTX 770 4gb SLI
6gb (3x2) DOMINATOR GT 1600 7-7-7-20
HAF 932 w/ 8 R4's | 750-HX
Megahalem Shadow

'MY HEARTS BEATIN!! MY HANDS ARE SHAKEIN'!!! BUT IM STILL SHOOTIN!! IM STILL GETTIN KILLS LIKE BOOM! HEAD SHOT!!! BOOM! HEAD SHOT!!!' - Doug
creecher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-17-09, 02:31 PM   #88
DarkWhite

It's absurd how much tuba's cost, and that's the main reason I want to pick up trumpet/sax. I can get a decent trumpet on ebay for just over $150 shipped, and saxophones aren't hugely different. Same thing with the pan, The 6-Bass (what I play) consists of 6 drums, each the size of a full 55-gallon oil drum which makes them very difficult to trasport. Plus a set costs about 5k. A tenor, is just like a large pot/pan, and costs about $500 for a quality one

OC Z Gold DDR3 1600 RAM
Razer AC-1 Gaming Audio

OCF Music #33
And folding, of course
Old 12-18-09, 10:15 AM Thread Starter   #89
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWhite View Post
I'll take #33
Most of my musical abilities go towards playing the pan (steel drums) and I'm currently one of my groups top 6-bass-players. I'm trying to pick up the other pans as much as possible, and I know my my way around a 4-bass. I also do some basic arrangements for my group, free of charge.
Outside of pan, I'm a decent tuba player, over the next semester I'm gonna work on trumpet, and then hopefully try the saxophone over the summer.
I picked up the drums from playing rock band, and, despite not owning a kit, I'm pretty good, though not hugely courageous with fills etc.
I'd like to learn the violin as well, but it's very expnsive and between school band, pan band, hockey, umpiring, and work, I don't have much time anymore.
You're in.

Too bad you didn't have more arms, you could be a one-man-band.
Old 12-18-09, 11:58 AM   #90
DarkWhite

, what I'd like to do is learn enough that I could actually multitrack them into real songs, maybe become a youtube sensation

OC Z Gold DDR3 1600 RAM
Razer AC-1 Gaming Audio

OCF Music #33
And folding, of course
Old 12-18-09, 02:44 PM Thread Starter   #91
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWhite View Post
, what I'd like to do is learn enough that I could actually multitrack them into real songs, maybe become a youtube sensation
homerecording.com is a good place to start, and soundonsound.com has some good articles on fundamentals. If you have a good ear ofr music then you won't find producing very hard, just time consuming. I like writing as much as producing so for me doing homerecording is a great hobby. I don't try or expect to make money on it so that saves me the grief of having to pimp my goods. I figure if I find a formula for success it will be entirely by accident, as that's how most fame is found anyway.
Old 12-18-09, 07:20 PM   #92
DarkWhite

I'm lucky in that I can replicate songs farily well by ear, which is nice for the producing, but I'm brutal at actually writing it down, so I have to play by memory, or use something like audioscore and run it through Sibelius, and hope it works out, and then there's the issues of my PC getting confused with 13 sound inputs, and somewhere between 16 and 24 outputs. God knows getting everything set up is hard enough in one program, and I don't want to do it on others.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out, and maybe if I become an international superstar, I'll give you a cut of the profits .

OC Z Gold DDR3 1600 RAM
Razer AC-1 Gaming Audio

OCF Music #33
And folding, of course
Old 12-20-09, 08:46 AM   #93
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Just found a fantastic 808/909 style drum VST, definitely going to do something with it today.

Also, I have some fancy e-mu audio card, I need to see if my dad is ever going to want it back, if not I'm sure someone in here can have it. If it still works that is....

EDIT:

I really like this drum machine, I also picked another one up for crashes. If I could just find a good noise/sweep something generator then I would be in business.

As for now, here is the beginning of another song.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v15p2b

EDIT 2: Half of a new song.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hnflwb

EDIT 3: Oh I got all sleepy and started yet another different song. I'm not even posting it, because it wasn't supposed to be made.

Maybe if I finish it I'll post it, it's more old school gabber. Lot less synths and a big focus on the drums. Pretty fast as well, about 205bpm.

Last edited by KonaKona; 12-20-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 07:43 AM Thread Starter   #94
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

I'm still working on new music. Currently in the midst of a few ideas with Mike Vieira, an online collaborator I've been producing for 2+ years and play a few instruments on the songs as needed. He's very talented and has been consistently maturing as a musician in these 2 years. It's awesome to see someone come out of their shell, and know you had a large part in helping them realize those dreams.

The latest track is Open Up the Door (I hate the title, love the song). Played bass and mixed on this this track. Here's a prerelease version!

I'm just starting work with an old time friend and collaborator. We've been toying with this concept album idea for a year now and we're finally in a place where we both can commit some time to getting it done. Only other thing going on is a 3 month old track that needs some drum work completed, lyrics written and vocals recorded. Probably another 3 months from being finished at the rate I'm getting it done. lol

Last edited by Pinky; 01-30-10 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-31-10, 09:11 PM   #95
DarkWhite

Okay guys, I'm looking for a little input here, and I'll explain my situation before asking the question.
I'm one of the arrangers for my steel orchestra (site is hyso.ca if your interested), and I'm the lead arranger for our non-calypso music. I'm not a music theory genius, but I make music work.
This year myself and two other player/arrangers will be writing our pan alive bomb song. Pan Alive is a national competition up here in Canada. Each band plays two songs, a bomb song, and the competitive song. Only the competition song is scored by the judges, and we have a Calypso arranger for that one. The bomb song is absolutely anything, arranged to a calypso beat, and though not scored, it will influence the judging of your second song, and the audience will vote for the people's choice, which we won last year.

But back to the arrangement I'm talking about, we're gonna try to arrange a very well known song, but we also want to fit in pieces of Maria (West-side story). So I'm asking you guys, whats a good well known song, that's ideally pretty exciting, and will sound ok when mixed in with Maria. I'm hoping to get started on this in less than a week, have a flat draft done a week from then, and then myself and the other arrangers will start pepping it up over the course of a month or two.

There are a couple reasons I want this to work out, and because of this I'll probably be posting updates for you guys to critique. One main reason I want this to be good is because just lately we learned of an arranger who won the US's Panorama at age 16, and now I'm sort of expected to win Pan Alive at age 15. Also, my group is contemplating going to New York for that Panorama, and there are a couple groups that have been stealing our dance moves (they won in '09 using the exact same moves as we did in '07) that we really want to show up. And finally, our group pays the arrangers of songs used in competitions, $1000 a song, which means I can't be submitting crap. I will be posting updates for critiquing whenever possible, and all input will be considered. Thanks, Darks.

OC Z Gold DDR3 1600 RAM
Razer AC-1 Gaming Audio

OCF Music #33
And folding, of course
Old 02-03-10, 05:44 AM Thread Starter   #96
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

Since I haven't voluntarily listened to the radio in probably 20 years, and I loath broadway and opera, I'll be forced to pass. But I do want to say that your interests in music are very cool.

And free bump.
Old 04-08-10, 10:05 PM Thread Starter   #97
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

As many of you know, I collaborate with a few diffrent artists online. 2 years ago I started working with a west coast musician, even helped produce an album with him (Out the Window). In the past 4 months we've been working on 2 new songs and 3 old songs remixed live (unreleased as of now). The two new tracks are pretty good. Well, really outstanding IMHO, and figure I would share them here to give the members new to homerecording an idea of what's possible with a little know how.

You can hear Open Up the Door and Fight For Your Love on Mike's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-V...2944?ref=share

And if you scroll down the playlist on his website:

http://mikevieiramusic.com/

I played bass on the two new tracks, mixed and mastered the recordings. Several other guest musicians playing guitars and cowriting the lyrics.
Old 05-15-10, 09:38 PM   #98
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Time for a thread bump.

After months of practicing different mixes, I just now pulled of a mix where I managed to not mess up the beatmatching. It's still got a few small problems (mixing out a bit late, twice IIRC), but overall it seems to work well.

The biggest problem is the song flow, it starts out with a gabber track after the intro, then some new style hardcore, then a few old school songs then back to the new school stuff and finally a trancecore track at the end. I usually do it differently, but

Oh, and I'm still using the sync feature to get the tracks on the same tempo. I still have to cue them and get them to play in sync, but I don't have to get the tempo the same. Only reason I do that is because I have no input to use for changing the temp in the fine increments that I would need, plus I don't have a preview channel.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c3niod

Maybe I'll try getting a good version of one of the other mixes tomorrow...

EDIT: Sound like I messed up the matching a bit at the end.

Last edited by KonaKona; 05-16-10 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-16-10, 07:38 PM   #99
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Uh oh, I redid another one of those mixes. It's been about two months since I've recorded this mix (according to the old filename) so I decided to change a bunch of stuff up. Decided to post both mixes, to see which one youis guys think is better. Rev 16 is a lot more like the older versions (180bpm, and the ending that I came up with god knows how long ago for a different mix), and rev 15 is slower and has a different end. IIRC the mixing quality in 16 is a bit better, I know I was off a bit in 15.

Oh, and on Eye Opener in rev 16, the key change makes it sound pretty bad. Something about the new version of traktor doesn't do key changes as well...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5ah0nt Revision 16 (Recorded 5-16, 26:47 long)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9228br Revision 15 (Recorded 3-29, 30:03 long)

Last edited by KonaKona; 05-16-10 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 12:00 AM   #100
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

Bump? I'm thinking about making my own thread to get feedback on these mixes.

I can't stop listening to them myself.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.