• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New here and need help please :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badas

Registered
Hey all, spent alot of time arround computers but when it comes to getting new parts i need help so this is my issue atm:

i have the following spec:

MOBO: XFX 780i
RAM: OCZ 4gig @ 900MHz
CPU: Intel Q9550 @ £.28GHz
PSU: Coolermaster 700W
GPU's: 8800GTS SLI

i was considering getting a 260GTX or 280 or 285 but i am not sure, so many people say moving over would be a waste of money one guy i play with who has a single 260 and a slower runing CPU seams to beat me by a mile in all games including Crysis and GTA4.

i played GTA 4 with him today, maxed out settings at 1400x900, driving arround town areas i am at 25fps :( whilst he says he is at 35 up to 50 easily at same res

1st of all, is this true he is saying? and would i be right in moving over to a 260, 28 or even a 285 GTX range GPU??

ok thanks Bon3thugz43v3r, how much of a performance should i expect?

atm if i play maxed out at the above res in GTA 4 i average 30fps driving arround town areas :( yet my friend with a slower pc with a single XFX 260 reckons he gets 50 FPS maxed out !

is he true? will i benegit for gaming with a 260 or above?

thanks really appreciate the help :)

I would wait till July, ATI 5800 series should be coming out... see how that measures to the previous gen.

Even If not so great of an improvement it should drive down the price of the rest.

GTA4 is very CPU dependent and loves quads. How fast do you have your CPU running (your text in the first post says, "CPU: Intel Q9550 @ £.28GHz"? OCing it higher might help.

Also, the 8800's in SLI are only able to effectively use 1 card's worth of memory. So, a GTX260 or greater may help if you are using more than that amount of memory w/ the rez/settings you have chosen.

hello sorry, my cyp has gone from 2.86Ghz to the current 3.29Ghz, i will be overclocking it more once i get a new cooler for it :)

as for GTA 4 i know it only utelises 1gpu and the settings i have (not even maxed out) are pushing the boundaries of the recomended resource usage

as for waiting for ATI, i won't be making a move over to them i used to have one and it was good whilst it lasted but today all i ever see is "DRIVER ISSES".

when i oc'd my cpu from 2.8 to 3.2 i instantly got a 10fps increase but its stilll 10 to 20 fps lower than my friends who have a lower spec pc but with a 260...

so what do you recomends i do now? :(

BUMP!

possibly looking at getting an GTX 285 what you think of those compared to any other gpu ??

Go for 3.6-3.9GHz and see how that helps. If a 400MHz bump gave you 10fps before than another 400-700Mhz should only help more. Possibly dramatically.

The GTX285 is great. Might not be worth the extra $ over the 275, though. Just depends on how much you feel like spending to get that last 5-10% of performance. The 260 is the best bang4$ right now, but the 275 is not far behind. Depends on your budget, really.

If I was buying right now I'd probably get a 275.

thanks jason, unfortunatly there will be no further OC'ing of the cpu until i get a new cooler and i hope to order that on thursday along side hte GPU, i can afford the 285 but i been finding some really good reviews and percentage increases over teh 280 and 260 by far

do you have any issues with your cooler?

also i have a cool master 700W modular PSU will that be fine with the GPU requirements as apparentyl i need 2 6 pin connecters (which i think i have)

BUMP!

possibly looking at getting an GTX 285 what you think of those compared to any other gpu ??

BADAS wanna see the smile of a 260gtx owner?

I can post my smile, bought the card in january and a month later another gtx260

Trust me buy a used 260gtx 216sp and with the money you save go out with your partner :beer:
if you don't have one :bang head

lol @ zantal i am single yes :( but i get plenty of female company ;)

ok so i have put it down to a definate 260 nothing less, but how much better does a 285 compare to a single 260?

cheers :)

lol @ zantal i am single yes :( but i get plenty of female company ;)

ok so i have put it down to a definate 260 nothing less, but how much better does a 285 compare to a single 260?

cheers :)

Honestly, now is not a great time to buy a new vidcard. Unless you go for something used. In about 1 month or 1.5 months there will be the next generation of videocards, which will drive down the prices of the aforementioned GTX 260's or 285's or whatever. I suggest you wait till mid or late July before you make any decisions.

my $0.02

Also, here's a comparison of some vidcards from my favourite site:

cross-fired 4770's (compared with the 260 and other cards) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfire,2288-5.html
GTX 275 vs 295: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-sli,2298.html
Best Graphics Cards For The Money: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296.html

i kniow but the issue with me is i can;t wait and when i have done so in hte past i get disapointedas hte prices tend to go up in my country and don't go down for a long time :(

it also means my two current gpu's will be worth less money = new gpu being more expensive too ifi wait so long

i kniow but the issue with me is i can;t wait and when i have done so in hte past i get disapointedas hte prices tend to go up in my country and don't go down for a long time :(

it also means my two current gpu's will be worth less money = new gpu being more expensive too ifi wait so long

Well here's another option. Keep posting on our forums, and when you're post count goes up and you get 3 stars above your avatar. You gain access to our "Classifieds" Section. There you will find tons of GFX cards that members like you and me are selling every day. Since my very first radeon 7000, I have bought every videocard and processor from this site.

That's where I would buy a card right now, and if you wait, prices will go down there too!

Also according to my logic, a GTX 260 is basically on par with a radeon 4870 (give or take), If I'm not mistaken your dual 8800GTS are better than that.

yeha but reality is, they don't actually perform like that or a 260 :(

this is why i need advice on what gpu toget in a 200 range :p i think iel be going for a 285 though and howe many posts do i need to get 3 stars?

Back