• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yuppers, Moving on up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like a hell of a strong system! Should be a great folder and everything else, as well.

Congratulations, Gen. Mac!

I had problems today...plus server having problems....just a big brick wall:bang head

now everything is up and running, hopefully should reach 24,000 ppd, I think still new at this

ok thanks all have a great weekend:soda:

just oc the I7 to 4.0 (I know...waiting on mem) I also downloaded VMware-server-2.0.1-156745 and ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386. will try it out sometime this weekend. If these are not the correct downloads PLEASE let me know:D

You need to get 64-bit linux (ubuntu works fine). Its odd but they usually refer to it as AMD64 (i think thats because AMD designed it). Don't forget to enable Virtualization Technology in the bios, or else VMware won't run 64-bit OSs.

If you know your way around Linux the setup is easy. If not go to the stickies and there are step by step guides. Also you could just download vmware player and a prebuilt system (notfreds).

Nice stuff there GeneralMac! :) :welcome: to Team 32! :beer: New guys stocks the fridge. :)

VMWare - OK, no problem there

Ubuntu - (as Voidn said) you need x64 distribution - I've heard people say that 9.04 isn't the most Folding friendly... neither is 8.10. I recommend Ubuntu 8.04 if it's going to be used for VM Folding.

Otherwise, you can try out a notfred's VM Appliance... really easy to setup Folding right out of the box. http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6061638&postcount=3

@Voidn- I believe everything is refered to as AMD64 because AMD was first with an x64 instruction set extension on an x86 processor. So the terminology has just stuck. ;)

ok got 1 working....now I cant seem to find it using fahmon,
is it c:\VM1\folding\ then the ip address or fold-xxxx
is that correct (I know its not:confused:)
please help

Monitoring with FahMon

1. Download Fahmon, if you don't have it already. You can get 2.3.99+ here.

2. In the main window right click "Add a client". Fill in the name as whatever you'd like to describe it. I find it helpful to use the name I gave it with displayName= in step 4.

3. In the location box you can either use the IP (if it's static) or the client's hostname. To find the host name you can either look at the console, or go to the client's built in webpage. This name will be something like FOLD-XXXX. In the location box enter \\<either the IP, or the hostname>\c\etc\folding\1\

4. Check the box that says "Client is on a Virtual Machine" and click OK.

5. (Optional) You may want to go to FahMon -> Preferences -> Monitoring and check the "Ignore Asynchronous Clocks" option if you are still having problems with it saying it is hung.

I use the hostname: fold-f02c or whatever it displays in the VMPlayer display window. It always starts with "fold-", and then has 4 characters. The IP only works if you have a static IP, which I've never had.

Remember the slash char's are backslashes, not the forward slashes we use all the time on the net:
\\fold-XXXX\c\etc\folding\1\ should be it, just add your 4 char's where the X's are.

Last edited:
I still have windows smp running....I installed 2 vm folders 2 threads ea.
Man..cpu is Very stressed :mad:
Priorities and infinities are set right ( I hope :screwy:)
Thanks for the help couldnt of done it w/o the ocf:clap:

Attachments

• vm installed4.jpg
    vm installed4.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 269
lol nice! I bet if you turned off win smp your vm's would hit 3300+, your temps would drop and the system would still be usable. But you're kickin a$$ regardless. I definitly won't be challenging you now. Though I might strap a chariot to you and hang on while we climb the later :santa:.

WTF(way to fold..took me a min to figure that out):beer::beer:

lol nice! I bet if you turned off win smp your vm's would hit 3300+, your temps would drop and the system would still be usable. But you're kickin a$$ regardless. I definitly won't be challenging you now. Though I might strap a chariot to you and hang on while we climb the later :santa:.

WTF(way to fold..took me a min to figure that out):beer::beer:

LOL......Thanx Voidn I now know what WTF means....and its not What The .....:eek:

about the contest.....not going to do it...too new.....dont know to whom is my arch nem...dont think i got one yet...all i know is im a coming i guess it will be up to some one to challenge me. really i dont have a clue

Ive been reading a lot of post today, and as I was reading I realized that as I climb my way up . they are not just Numbers, but real people.
It might of taken them months, years to get where they are. We really have no Idea what problems they went through or what problems they solved. I also read somewhere that people wanted names removed that werent active for 6 months, ......why? Even if they completed only 1 wu they contributed and it might of taken them awhile to do so, Maybe the person helped make folding better today.
Now as I look at the list of folders and previous folders. Im honered to be a part, So as I climb up I take a look at the name and give the respect i should. The respect we all should!

Last edited:
Back