• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black, Green or 7200.12

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeHappy

Need a new drive as my single 500gigger isn't gonna last much longer...

What I'm looking for: MUCH Faster and more space, i'm not worried about noise.

WD Caviar black 1TB @ newegg for $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Caviar Green 1.5TB @ newegg for $139
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136351

Seagate 7200.12 1TB @ newegg for $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

-Ive read the reviews, and also checked out a few comparisons off google.
Seems to me that the new seagate would be a good choice, but I'm not sure about the whole quiet seek crap making the seek times vastly slower than most other drives in its class. Wondering if you can turn that feature off?

Thanks in advance guys!

System drive? Black. Storage? WD Green. For the same price I wouldn't even consider the Seagate just based upon performance reviews.

Yeah going to clone my current drive onto the better performing new HD.

I thought the seagates (7200.12) had great reviews with the exception of the quiet seek slowing some stuff down.

the seagate is poop from what i have heard, they updated the firmware but some still have issues with it staying alive.

good drives just not the 7200.12's. In this case rock the black

I run 4x 1tb WD Blacks under an Areca 1220 RAID controller.

Results speak for themselves, these things haul ***.

I also run WD Green's in the file server along with Hitachi drives, both are great for mass storage.

with the green drive you cant turn it off, really there is nothing turned on. from what i made out from checking out the WD greens. is that they actually run at a single speed between 5400rpm and 7200rpm. i would ask if you thought about the RE3 drive? i have had my eye on one of those. since if the drive is idle it has better Head parking then the blacks. its a feature that actually has the head not making contact with the platter. this would be a good thing, so that if something gets bumped. the platter will not even be touched.

Here is a good review that I found regarding the Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive : http://techreport.com/articles.x/16472/1

i would ask if you thought about the RE3 drive? i have had my eye on one of those. since if the drive is idle it has better Head parking then the blacks. its a feature that actually has the head not making contact with the platter. this would be a good thing, so that if something gets bumped. the platter will not even be touched.

Also if I am correct Western Digital official supports these drives in a RAID array as compared to their Desktop line of drives?

Yeah the problem as I see it with Seagate drives looking purely at performance is that they are tuned for reads at the heavy expense of writes, they aren't balanced overall. You can see that in the various FC tests in the techreport review.

How about the HD102UJ ?

+1

Those 1TB Samsung drives are awesome... they're on equal footing with the WD Black as far as speeds go, and they've been a bit cheaper than the WD drives lately, too.

Also if I am correct Western Digital official supports these drives in a RAID array as compared to their Desktop line of drives?

yep indeed
Western Digital said:
Compatibility Summary

WD RE3 drives combine up to 32 MB cache with SATA 3 Gb/s transfer rate for lightning-fast performance in demanding server and storage applications. Technologically advanced acoustics minimize noise. Cool drive operation and enhanced reliability features help protect the drive and the data stored on it.

Massive capacity - WD RE3 Enterprise SATA drives are available in capacities up to 1 TB.
Dual processor - Twice the processing power results in a 20% performance improvement over the previous generation.
StableTrac™ - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking during read and write operations.
RAFF™ - Our fourth generation RAFF technology includes sophisticated electronics to monitor the drive and correct both linear and rotational vibration in real time for up to a 60% performance improvement in high vibration environments over the previous generation of drives.
IntelliSeek™ - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise, and vibration.
Multi-axis shock sensor - Automatically detects the subtlest shock events and compensates to protect the data.
RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER) - Prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives.
Third generation dynamic fly height - Each read-write head’s fly height is adjusted in real time for optimum reliability.
Thermal extended burn-in test - Each drive is put through extended burn-in testing with thermal cycling to ensure reliable operation.
NoTouch™ ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - WD RE3 drives utilize PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density, reliability, and design margin.
Ideal For

Ideal for servers, storage arrays, video surveillance, and other demanding write-intensive applications.

Guys im loving this feedback. I was seconds away from buying that seagate drive, but I think I'll take a pass.

The black drive seems to be the one for me, its only 100 and its a good starting point for my storage needs.

Ive heard good things about those samsung drives, guess Ill have to give them a look before I jump on the black.

Maybe consider the samsung spinpoint f1s too. Can someone post a screen shot of 2 WE black 1tb in raid0 to compare?

Guys im loving this feedback. I was seconds away from buying that seagate drive, but I think I'll take a pass.

The black drive seems to be the one for me, its only 100 and its a good starting point for my storage needs.

Ive heard good things about those samsung drives, guess Ill have to give them a look before I jump on the black.
mmm
WD Black FTW - very fast. 2 of these in Raid 0 is faster than V-Raptors, i believe.
WD Green = 5400rpm = FTL :(
Samsung Spinpoint FTW (i've got a 750GB)
Seagate 7200.11 hmm...maybe ftw... (got a250gb as well)

out of my 2 drives, the Seagate is the fastest (bandwith and seek time wise). but i think it's faster than my Samsung because of it's smaller capacity.

don't touch a Green WD if you want performance. i didn't know Green drives were slower than the usual drive when i decided to buy a 750gb. when i got my WD Green 750gb, installed Vista on it, as soon as it loaded up i could tell it was slow. it was noticeably slower than my 2 year old Seagate 7200.9 drive. HD Tune even gave it poor bandwidth/seek time scores.
the next day i exchanged it for a Samsung Spinpoint - now that is what i'm talking about ;)

Man those spinpoints are only 76.49 after promo code... Cant beat that!!! These TB's are getting cheaper by the hour...

So im going to confirm one last time before I click buy - the HD102UJ is worth the savings over a $99 WD Black? Those are the only 2 i'm considering now...

Just dont know how much performance loss that 16mb cache vs 32mb is gonna be.

BTW- Promo code for HD102UJ @ newegg for $76.49 = EMCLSNM47

Feel free to post it in cyberdeals, I just dont have the time right now.

***Its only good for the rest of the day.

Ahh! Just found this one as well. They will take another $10 off with bill me later, and that makes it a $78 WD black with free shipping!

Another thing is that they use fedex for packaging, so Im liking that as well.

Let me know guys + Get some of these deals for yourself if you need a new drive.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009901&prodlist=celebros
if you can get the WD Black for $78, i'd definitely get it over the other 2.
it's faster than the Samsung, and not that much more expensive.
too bad i can't get those drives...i live in Australia *cries* :(

Back