• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why don't motherboard factory's sink VR's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

I recently felt the Voltage regulators on my motherboard and just about burned my hand in under a second. I ordered some ram sinks to put on them now. The sinks are WELL over twice the size of the VR's and there are STILL heating up. Especially on AMD systems, why don't motherboard manufacturors sink the VR's?

I think it's just typical business, the motherboard manufacturers are trimming costs wherever they can. The manufacturers probably figure that the 1% of the market that overclocks will go out and sink the various parts of the board on their own.

are you talking about the the caps+VR's that are right around the CPU socket? in some motherboards (more expensive or 'extreme' ones) they often are...

Cost vs. benefit.

Assume you arent savy, if it doesnt fail relatively quickly, you will most likely go buy another of their boards due to the included goodies.

If they do and the board NEVER fails, you probably arent going to buy any more parts for a relatively long time.

I have machines here that are ancient (relatively speaking) that are built like tanks. I dont upgrade them because they last forever. The only time I "upgrade" is when a rig dies and it isnt economical to replace the parts that died.

Back