• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't get my temps to go down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blisteringamer

It's currently burning up in my house, and it's causing my hardware to heat up pretty good. My Pentium 4's running at 51C and my 8600GT's running at 60C, both just while internet browsing. I tried turning up my GPU speed in nTune, but I see no effect. I wasn't totally sure how to turn up my CPU speed in SpeedFan, but no matter what I do I can't get anything to cool down. Any tips on what to do?

Air cooling (and traditional liquid cooling, for that matter) is dependent on ambient temperature. A fan does not make air temperature lower, it just moves the air faster over the heatsink. You said that it is burning up in your house. This is the root of the cooling problem in your case(pun?). You have few options, frankly:

Lower the ambient temperature in the area of your machine or employ a sub-ambient cooling method, like a waterbong(low cost) or phase-change cooling (not low-cost).

Back