• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dots on my screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joedymueller

hey guys,

have an issue with my moms computer.

there are dots all over her screen. they are not dead pixels, because they are not always in the same place and if i goto bios they are not there.

turns out her computer gets really hot and im assuming its hardware (video card dieing) just wanted to see what you all thought.

3555951023_53ac369ae0.jpg note the lines vertical near the "improving"

Thanks

Since you can screenshot it, my guess is either drivers or hardware. Since the hardware is running hot, I think that is a safe assumption to start there.

Maybe try reseating the card to see if that helps.
Get rivatuner and tell us idle and load temps if possible.
Also you could try installing different drivers.

Clean out her system for her (most people plug in a PC and never touch it again, I have puled 1" thick dust out of systems before)

That alone should improve temps. You can also add another case fan and/or filters on the intake fans. Most people will see dusty filters and clean them :)

#Laughs# A friend once had a PSU with perspex top and the combination of static and fans caused it to turn into a solid block of dog & cat fur hmm lovely
was really a serious fire hazzard by the time I got to it.
dont think theyll put it on a vinyl floor again #Chuckles#
its dirty outside my place, lots of traffic and the dust build up from having the windows open gets crazy some days.
even wet & dryed the carpets but its not loose dirt and fibres from that either, just airborn crud :-/

(oh and I smoke a fair bit... fools game but I qualify as a fool so hey :D)

Q. what drivers are you using?
Im on 185.85 and im going to run drivesweep and roll back to see if thing are any better.

have to wonder since Hank123`s 260 looked toasted and it wasnt the card at all.

note. I see the 185.85 are the WHQL certified current drivers :-/

Last edited:
I am not very sure of what i am going to say, but can it be the buffer? (i don't know this for sure but i think there is a buffer that stores the frames before they are sent to the monitor)

if my theory is correct, this explains why you get corrupted screenshots.

A damaged wire, monitor, heat (on a fresh start) don't explain these symptoms

Correct me if i am wrong, but the only way to fix this problem would be to change gfx

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

maybe i was correct about what i said, it might be memory problem

And now i know for sure that the framebuffer exists =)

(first of all try to upgrade the drivers if that doesn't work then it might be the time to trash the gfx)

edit: i think your problem is with the framebuffer, the only reasons my brain tells me atm why it doesn't show up in bios are

-1 i am totally wrong about the ram fault, it's a driver issue
-2 on the boot up the frames are not stored in the framebuffer (i am guessing here)

Last edited:
hey guys,

there are dots all over her screen. they are not dead pixels, because they are not always in the same place and if i goto bios they are not there.

turns out her computer gets really hot and im assuming its hardware (video card dieing) just wanted to see what you all thought.

3555951023_53ac369ae0.jpg note the lines vertical near the "improving"

Thanks

I had an issue like this before, I have a Samsung syncmaster 204b and would get lines and dots like your picture is showing, when I was running it in DVI, VGA was fine though. Turns out in was a refresh rate problem, I had to set a custom resolution and set up CVT reduced blank, which dropped the refresh rate to 59.92 and all was well.

Don't know if it's the same problem you're having, but I thought I'd offer the suggestion in case it helps.

I had an issue like this before, I have a Samsung syncmaster 204b and would get lines and dots like your picture is showing, when I was running it in DVI, VGA was fine though. Turns out in was a refresh rate problem, I had to set a custom resolution and set up CVT reduced blank, which dropped the refresh rate to 59.92 and all was well.

Don't know if it's the same problem you're having, but I thought I'd offer the suggestion in case it helps.

it wouldn't show up in the screenshot if the cause was the one you said.

reminds me of something too, some old side band addressing that effected Nvidia GPU`s in bios. The timings slip and the screen slowly corrupted more as the stepping sliped out of sync.
(was a long time ago though)

hey guys,

Thanks

Start with a good cleaning/dust blow out of the computer with the GPU cooler of the GFX card being a priority. You will probably find
the cooler on the GFX card has got dust buildup to the point where there is little or no air flow through the cooler. You would be
amazed how fast dust bunnies can build up causing the card to run hot and cause the floating dots (pixel pipeline errors) on the display.

Viper

I've seen that artifacting before somewhere... Was stupid simple to fix once I finally figured out what it was.

I'll think about it.

It's probably too little too late, but i've seen this on an overheating xbox 360. The insides were completely clogged with dust, just opened it up and blew it out, and it worked fine.

Back