• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rivatuner not O/C after forcing 185.85

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DVL

Hello I have a question for the forum. I have a BFG 9800GT, and running Vista Ultimate 64 bit O/S, when I updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers, 185.85 I lost all my rivatuner overclocking abilities, fan control, etc. etc. Now I did some research and a lot of users are reporting that going to the power user tab, and forcing 18585 will make them work. I followed these steps

1. Open <Power User> tab
2. Press <Open database> button
3. Browse for RivaTuner.rtd database file (located in the application root folder)
4. Expand <System> node
5. Ensure that <Hexadecimal display> button is NOT pressed (otherwise 18585 will be treated as a hexadecimal value instead of decimal one)
6. Double click <ForceDriverVersion>
7. Enter 18585

Now when I do that I still get my in game OSD showing me my temps, framrate, cpu usage, but the overclocking tab inside rivatuner is now blank, no readouts on speeds, and no fan control. So it seems I've lost my overclocking and fan control regardless.

So am I doing this wrong, or is this the best you'll get with the 185.85 drivers?

get EVGA precision if everything fails, unfortunately i can't help you any further.
but wait for other replies. the is some people much more experienced than me in this

get EVGA precision if everything fails, unfortunately i can't help you any further.
but wait for other replies. the is some people much more experienced than me in this

Thanks for the fast reply, I've been thinking about using EVGA's tool, but was leaning towards just rolling back my drivers as I have/had, rivatuner perfectly tweaked for me.

Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about

sshot3.png

Uninstall RT (make sure the RT directory is completely removed, after first using the program's uninstaller), then uninstall your video drivers and reboot. Reinstall the 185.85 driverset, reboot, then reinstall RT 2.24 afterwhich performing the steps you outlined in your first post.

Uninstall RT (make sure the RT directory is completely removed, after first using the program's uninstaller), then uninstall your video drivers and reboot. Reinstall the 185.85 driverset, reboot, then reinstall RT 2.24 afterwhich performing the steps you outlined in your first post.

So I should be able to view and change my O/C settings, set fan speeds by forcing 18585

Thank you, it's now working. I really appreciate the help on this one.

+1 for you

Hello I have a question for the forum. I have a BFG 9800GT, and running Vista Ultimate 64 bit O/S, when I updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers, 185.85 I lost all my rivatuner overclocking abilities, fan control, etc. etc. Now I did some research and a lot of users are reporting that going to the power user tab, and forcing 18585 will make them work. I followed these steps

1. Open <Power User> tab
2. Press <Open database> button
3. Browse for RivaTuner.rtd database file (located in the application root folder)
4. Expand <System> node
5. Ensure that <Hexadecimal display> button is NOT pressed (otherwise 18585 will be treated as a hexadecimal value instead of decimal one)
6. Double click <ForceDriverVersion>
7. Enter 18585

Now when I do that I still get my in game OSD showing me my temps, framrate, cpu usage, but the overclocking tab inside rivatuner is now blank, no readouts on speeds, and no fan control. So it seems I've lost my overclocking and fan control regardless.

So am I doing this wrong, or is this the best you'll get with the 185.85 drivers?

RivaTuner works just fine under WinXP and Vista with the 185.85 drivers without forcing the version. You only have to do that when running Windows 7.

Completely uninstall RT, including any saved settings/profiles then reinstall.

Viper

eVGA Precision in written for eVGA by Unwinder (Alexey) and is just a very cut down version of RivaTuner.

Viper

eVGA Precision in written for eVGA by Unwinder (Alexey) and is just a very cut down version of RivaTuner.

Viper

yepp i know, and guess why he refuses to make an easy to use utility on rivatuner to change voltage on cards, saying many ppl would blow their cards.

i think he also made the evga voltage tuner, and since it is avaible only to evga cards, evga told him not to create anything that could work with other cards

correct me if i am wrong =)

I would just go back to an older driver for that card. I doubt there is anything new in the drivers that will benefit the 9800GT.

Back