• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 disks in RAID-0, partition decreases performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aoch88

Hey folks, I've just setup a RAID-0 array for 3 x 320GB. I obviously wouldn't need such a huge size for my boot (Vista) partition so I seperated into 120GB (for c:\) and remaining for d:\

My question is, does separating a RAID array via partition would decrease it's performance? I'm not very happy because although I get good read speed (around 225MB/s) but the random access time is around 17-18ms :confused:

I previously had 2 x 160GB Seagate in RAID-0 and it looks like they work even better.

If you have the option for Matrix Raid (Intel Chipset), that would be your best bet. That would allow you to actually partition the array into seperate arrays across the discs. You could setup the first 40GB of each drive for Raid 0 and do what you want with the remaining.

You mean install the Intel Matrix Storage software? I've did that but how do I partition it further? I've done the partitioning during Vista installation. Btw, I'm on ICH9R on board RAID.

You would need to setup the bios for Raid and make sure that the drives are all plugged into the intel chipset. Then you need to setup the drives right after the Bios loads to create the array.

Thanks again fritzman. That's a very good write up with screenshots so now I understand a lot better. However, I have a few questions:

1. Every time I re-create the array, I'll lose all my data so assuming even if I have RAID-1, how do I rescue or move it over to a new motherboard (ICH10R for example)?

2. If I setup the remaining space as RAID-1 as opposed to RAID-5, does it mean when I unplug one drive, I'll still be able to see all my data just like a normal single drive?

Thanks again fritzman. That's a very good write up with screenshots so now I understand a lot better. However, I have a few questions:

1. Every time I re-create the array, I'll lose all my data so assuming even if I have RAID-1, how do I rescue or move it over to a new motherboard (ICH10R for example)?

2. If I setup the remaining space as RAID-1 as opposed to RAID-5, does it mean when I unplug one drive, I'll still be able to see all my data just like a normal single drive?

Cheers... I had fun making that up.

1. Not sure (have never tried) whether or not you can migrate an array from an ICH9R setup to an ICH10R setup... my suspicion is that you can, but I always back my stuff up to an external drive / file server, so don't have that problem. I've learnt the hard way that you HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD BACKUP SYSTEM... RAID IS NOT BACKUP.

2. Absolutely right... had a mate bring around a Raid1 rig just last night with a dead drive. I took an image of his C drive and reinstated it straight onto two new Blacks, and all was well, but even with the dead drive (maybe for 6 weeks or so) he was functioning perfectly normally, just with no redundancy left.

Back