• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well I finally bit the bullet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

I went and found a Geforce GTX 260 OC MaXcore 55 for 160 dollars.

The only downside is having never had a decent video card, I didn't realize the ramifications of an inadequate power supply. I ended spending another 100 dollars on a Corsair Power Supply, so I wasn't too happy about that. :(

Yea, PSU's are probably the most overlooked and least thought about component of the whole system. When building a new system, I think people pour over the cpu, mobo, memory, HD's and throw in a PSU in the last minute.

Yea, PSU's are probably the most overlooked and least thought about component of the whole system. When building a new system, I think people pour over the cpu, mobo, memory, HD's and throw in a PSU in the last minute.

Seems that way, but typically with inexperienced builders I find. Too bad since it's the most important component.

I went and found a Geforce GTX 260 OC MaXcore 55 for 160 dollars.

The only downside is having never had a decent video card, I didn't realize the ramifications of an inadequate power supply. I ended spending another 100 dollars on a Corsair Power Supply, so I wasn't too happy about that. :(

ninja edit: Poor PSU's.. they must feel like the red headed step child.

You should LOVE the Corsair though, good decision, great quality, reliable. I own the 520HX or TX, whichever.

Heh, yea, the rig I get tomorrow is the first time were I'm gonna end up with a high end GPU.

However, I did my homework, Corsair 850w. = D

Seems that way, but typically with inexperienced builders I find. Too bad since it's the most important component.

Definitely. A lot of people skimp on the power supply without realizing just how vital it is, especially when overclocking, or running full loads. It is particularly painful to see members of our folding team fall into that line of thinking, like trying to power three GTXs off of a P.O.S. PSU, and then replacing it with another crappy PSU after the previous one died. :bang head

Back