• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safest settings for air cooling 4850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeasonalEclipse

Well I got bored and upped the FSB to 220, it booted up fine but failed prime after the 6th test. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Up the voltage? Its at 1.2 right now according to the bios (CPUz says 1.84) but yeah, I got in my new OCZ T2 DDR2 memory today so I want to see how good I can do for stock air cooling! lol

Edit- the bios only lets me go up to 1.25 volts on this CPU. Right now I am trying the FSB at 225 and I am primimg it now to see if it holds, I doubt it does though.
Edit- It failed after a few minutes, so imma down clock it to 215 and see how it likes it. Does overvolt in the bios mean additional voltage for the CPU or ram past the 1.25 allowed on the CPU voltage?

Last edited:
Some overvolt settings are in the bios and some are a jumper on the motherboard. Generally it will up the top end Vcore possible if set to overvolt. For instance, on mine I have a jumper that I can set that will change the top Vcore from 1.70 to 1.90.

Ah, I see! Well.. Does anyone know the safest bet at top voltage for stock air? Im thinking 1.3?

Do it like cpu oc'ing. Set it to a loudness you want to keep as a preset then just get as high as possible while getting succesful cooling under your sound limit.

Well I tried lowering the HT link to 800 and running the FSB at 215 FAIL
Tried upping the CPU voltage to 1.3 and running it at 215 FAIL
It seems to work at 205 though without issue yet in prime.
It isnt the ram because even at 215 FSB the rams only hitting 380 something so it has some headroom until 400. And the system seems to be fine at stock so what am I missing?

Does overvolt in the bios mean additional voltage for the CPU or ram past the 1.25 allowed on the CPU voltage?
The setting is just labeled "Overvolt" with nothing else indicating it's function? Where exactly in the BIOS is it?

I'm also not sure I understand the RAM speed you're citing. If you're at 215 MHz on the clock then 667 (3:5) should yield 358 MHz ...???

Last edited:
Having two 4850s I entered the thread thinking of GPUs as well, quickly realized he was talkign about an AMD CPU though ;)

I should have realized that had the 12.5 multiplier - makes a big difference.

Those over-voltage options sound similar to other boards and they're the best way to add voltage. Since the 4850 is rated for up to 1.25 vCore I wouldn't bump it higher than 1.35v - though it might take more. Being a low-powered CPU I'm just not sure if more volts would be a good idea or not. Any other X2 I'd say crank it to 1.45v (or even 1.50v if you dare) as long as the temps hold but those were much higher wattage chips. In any event you want to keep a close eye on your core temps. With that chip I'd say anything over 50°C is probably pushing it, but again that's just a guess.

Increasing chipset voltage seldom helps an X2 OC unless you're really cranking up the clock. RAM voltage (vDIMM), however, is very important and can ruin an OC as fast as vCore. Since you're staying under 400 MHz on the RAM I'd set the timings to the CAS 5 settings and push 1.90 vDIMM for good measure. It won't hurt the RAM or the system to run it that high and it should make sure you have enough in case your board is under-volting it some.

Other than the adjustments to vCore (0.10v less than recommended) this thread should help you test the various components and help find the problem:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

Second line of his sig? What CPU did you think he was running?

Edit:
LOL! I get it! Not being into video at all the "other" 4850 didn't even come to mind ...! LOL!

Bahaha! Yes I was under the assumption we were talking ATI products :Screwy:.

And to keep it OT, I would try to follow the A64 oc'ing guide. I tried the whole guess and check when I was first oc'ing and that went well, but obvviously I found myself here (not a bad thing). Then I went back and found my reference max and by then I already had an understanding of how far I could push my ram. But being I had a 5200+, I would say you probably just need a tad more voltage.

Last edited:
I played with my friends 4850e a bit in a bioware 790gx motherboard.
It does not want to OC at all, not even 210 or 205 fsb. It simply won't take it at 1.2(ish) volts, and i don't want to raise it.

I've read that if you throw more volts at it things change, in theory it's a standard athlon x2 die, but one that tested to run at really low voltage for a given speed. As such you can throw the same volts at it as any other 65nm athlon x2.
Please do note though that this is what i've read, i have not tested it at all.

Back